[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Diabetes-just a small question - Carers UK Forum

Diabetes-just a small question

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Just trying to gauge some opinions really.

There are three diabetics in our family, all type 2's. I have noticed recently there is so much confusion among the general public about what constitutes a type 1 diabetic, with an alarming amount of people thinking that if you take insulin, then you must have type 1 diabetes, it isn't possible to have type 2 and have injections! Image
I also have spoken to someone from another forum who is type 2, preferred to eat what she liked and not change her lifestyle, was put onto insulin and then said she was a type 1 diabetic. Image

Can you believe that a medical professional I met was shocked that my daughter took insulin for her type 2 referring to it as "rare"..I know it's not that rare at all.

Has anyone here had this experience? Only curious!
Hi there Ladybird,
I am type 3c diabetic which is - diabetes 2nd to pancreatic pathology.
When my Pancreas totally 'dies ' and doesnt produce any insulin- then I will need to inject and I will become Type 1.

My thoughts on type1 and type 2 are --------

Type 1 diabetes develops when the insulin-producing cells in the body have been destroyed and the body is unable to produce any insulin. Type 1 diabetes is treated by daily insulin injections, a healthy diet and regular physical activity.

Type 2 diabetes develops when the body can still make some insulin, but not enough, or when the insulin that is produced does not work properly (known as insulin resistance). Type 2 diabetes accounts for between 85 and 95 per cent of all people with diabetes and is treated with a healthy diet and increased physical activity. In addition to this, medication and/or insulin is often required.

Hope this helps.
cheers
Mags
Well defined, Mags Image

My OH has type 2 and started out by controlling it with diet, then progresses to tablets and then finally to insulin, which he takes in one dose in the morning. He's still type 2 Image

Jenny
I have been informed that i am now type 1 but only take metformin was diagnosed type 2 just 2 years ago ...now i`m confused.......................
if you were type 1 George, you would be on insulin.Type 1 Diabetes cannot be managed without insulin injections, a person will die without insulin.You would first suffer from diabetic ketoacidosis and that is very nasty.Horrible to see someone suffering from,too.
Audrey, re.ignorance and Diabetes, don't you think that Diabetes information sometimes changes so fast that even Doctors and nurses cannot keep up with it?
It is now 32 years since I met my husband(he was already a type 1 Diabetic),and things have changed so much in that time it is almost like a different disease.I also remember when Rhys was diagnosed as a baby, it was at that time, the hardest period in our lives. Diabetes in an infant is the most stressful and scary thing I have ever dealt with.Now I see parents of babies and children on facebook, comparing lifestyles and support suggestions,which seems to be a good thing.
I learn as I go along. I have learnt to accept that the Diabetes needs change all the time,and that is a frightening part of the condition.
Diabetes is expensive. So are most health conditions. Never enough cash in the pot.
(Audrey)

And lack of proper treatment and education for diabetics is even more expensive..........
Paul was diagnosed about 4 years ago he started on Metformin and Glicazide and had to go onto injectable victoza after a spell in hospital as his bloods were sky high, a year on Victoza and despite manging his diet etc he needed to go on insulin, he started on 10 twice a day and is now on 44 twice a day and still not much better, at this rate he will need a whole pen morning and evening! He has never had a hypo
i have just checked the care package i receieved on how to manage TYPE 1 metmorfin is the only medication prescribed to me and i will be reviewed in 4 weeks ...yet some with type 2 are using insulin injections ????????
how are your blood sugars doing George,if you are on Metformin as Type 1?