[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Assessments - Page 7 - Carers UK Forum

Carers Assessments

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
67 posts
Whining comment aside, Scally, the point is not lost - but I'd rather you chose a different way of making it. It's easy to get locked into one set of circumstances. If someone is well off - for whatever reason - these days they have to pay. People have complained here that David Cameron could afford to pay for his son's care: yet the same people argue that the carer shouldn't pay?

Surely what's important is that there are enough services to provide for everyone who needs a break at a cost they can afford - and if they can afford nowt, that's what they pay?
I think that it is commonly acknowledged that carers need breaks to enable them to carry on caring, therefore it is the caree who is the main beneficiary of respite care.

Surely it then follows that if someone has sufficient income to be deemed ineligible for free care and part of that income is paid in recognition of their care needs it is not unreasonable to expect them to use it to pay for care in order to give their carer a respite break.

Or is that too simple Image ?
I think that it is commonly acknowledged that carers need breaks to enable them to carry on caring, therefore it is the caree who is the main beneficiary of respite care.

Surely it then follows that if someone has sufficient income to be deemed ineligible for free care and part of that income is paid in recognition of their care needs it is not unreasonable to expect them to use it to pay for care in order to give their carer a respite break.

Or is that too simple Image ?
Well, that isn't an unreasonable suggestion, far from it; but as we all know many carees are highly unreasonable in practice and take a lot of persuasion. If they are parents they often like to dominate, if they are spouses they can become horribly nagging, possessive and jealous, and if they are children they are quite often selfish and manipulative. Hence the Stockholm syndrome that afflicts so many carers and causes them to lose their sense of autonomy and become total doormats.
I demanded a carers assessment from a reluctant MHT and took time off work for this underwhelming event. No help or support of any kind was offered. I wanted help in my garden but it costs too much. I wanted friendship as friends have deserted me, but none was offered. Carers support is just a joke IMO. Even carers meetings don't offer more than the bare minimum and I am aware that the professionals are working in the evening beyond their formal hours, but the loneliness is overwhelming - they just don't seem to understand or care. XXX
Hi,
1/ 2 carers assessments since 2008, none have been signed by myself but were signed off anyway,
2/ nothing reccommended in them was put in place.
3/ No updates have been made, even though circumstances changed
4/ All little help we had was stopped without re-assessment
5/ SS refuse to class my child as disabled and even though he attends an out of county school for children with an SEN and has an SEN himself, SS have now closed his file
6/ After 3yrs of trying to access services for my son, my solicitor has now submitted papers to the high courts lodging a complaint of 'failing to offer services to a child in need

SS may have a legal duty to help people in need but who is there to make sure these duties are carried out correctly?

=x=
my Carers Assessment was done this time by my son's Social Worker as the Carers Assessment team do not exist in our county any more.She told me that she was sending my assessment out for me to sign. I contacted her a fortnight later as I hadn't received it,and she said she had to wait for her manager to sign it before sending it.
She is in the Learning Disability Team, which means that her manager is also in the Learning Disability team,so either the Council is taking away services for people with learning disabilities, or the team just wants to keep an eye on what is happening with family Carers. It has put me off having another in the future.When I have had them done in the last, I have asked for my information not to be shared with other teams. I wanted something that was just for me, not my carees.
Earlier this year while surfing the net I chanced upon the website of a local carers organisation. On contacting them an appointment was made for one of their staff to make a domiciliary visit to assess my needs as a carer.
On arrival (nearly one hour late) I was disconcerted to observe that the assessor spoke in a loud, shrieking voice, and demonstrating signs of being in the ascending phase of Bipolar Disorder.
Despite my requesting a reduction in volume as my partner was attempting to sleep, this behaviour continued; the assessor launching into an account of a lifelong Eating Disorder. Thus the assessment was a total waste of my time, and left me not only with a sense of disappointment as I was hoping for some much-needed support, but with ringing ears for several hours afterwards. On receiving a copy of the notes taken I discovered only what I can describe as a catalogue of inaccuracies.
So, the moral of this story is 'beware the so-called professionals'.
67 posts