[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Assessments - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Carers Assessments

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
67 posts
Had one- still don't know what the point of it is. Waste of time.
You should get cold weather payments each time the temp drops below freezing for 7 consec days as for the tv licence well theres no such thing as a reduction in that for disabled people which is very wrong.we pay the full wack over direct debit payments same as everyone else.
Hi.

I'm honestly not trying to be anatgonistic but why should disabled people get a special reduction in TV licence fees? I appreciate that there are many disabled people who are housebound but there are also many who are not at home all the time, why should special treatment be expected?

There are many people who are at home for various reasons, those who have a long term illness who are not registered disabled springs to mind. I don't really think it is realistic to use disability as a reason for lowered licence fees.
people who are blind or have sever sight impairment can get a 50% reductions on their tv licence, my uncle gets it Image
You should get cold weather payments each time the temp drops below freezing for 7 consec days as for the tv licence well theres no such thing as a reduction in that for disabled people which is very wrong.we pay the full wack over direct debit payments same as everyone else.
Hi.

I'm honestly not trying to be anatgonistic but why should disabled people get a special reduction in TV licence fees? I appreciate that there are many disabled people who are housebound but there are also many who are not at home all the time, why should special treatment be expected?

There are many people who are at home for various reasons, those who have a long term illness who are not registered disabled springs to mind. I don't really think it is realistic to use disability as a reason for lowered licence fees.
A similar argument could be made for free television licences for the over-75s, all of whom are exempt from the television licence fee whatever their income and whatever their level of fitness or the quality of their social life, but then I do not think that issues like this have much to do with cirumstances, affordability, etc. but have more to do with whether they are likely to be popular and buy or retain the votes of identified groups within the electorate.
carers assessments are useless ..i wont bore one and all about what i was told i needed in detail but they recommended 2 weeks respite every couple of months, every other weekend off, one midweek day off , and the "odd" afternoon/evening for me to pop out for a pint ..when i asked if they could set the breaks in place .... no problem just get the money out as it will cost you not one hour would be free ..my total income at the time carers allowance plus a tiny , small , insignificant private pension just about the same as the state retirment pension....what chance do i have now when i have 3 private pensions ....still entitled to the carres allowance ...for now but that will soon stop ........and as councils can now decide what benefits to disregard will the carers discount of 25% remain for all ?..and what of war related pensions being disregarded mind you it will be a brave council or a foolish one to remove benefits from war disabled / widows ...
George, the assessment you refer to - even though the respite was to give you a break - was effectively for the old doll. She was the one assessed for the charge: no way can a carer be charged for a respite service where care is provided for the person you usually care for. Any charge is based on the old doll's income - not yours.
the financial assessment was re my income alone ..the letter received from Newcastle social services refered to my income as being to "HIGH" therefore they informed me that if I wanted respite to give myself a break i had to pay for it ....
ooops have had same info from Wansbeck council ....
George, it's a fact: they cannot take your income into account when it's your mum who would receive the care. It comes under the Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000.
it`s the same old argument .. carers & disabled childrens act is it different for a disabled adult ?? why should she have her income taken into account for me to have a break? the state should care for me i "work" for them in a roundabout way. they should be looking after my own health as we all know lack of respite care can lead to carers burning themselves out ..respite care is about £800 per week, therefore if she had to pay for her own care at £800 then i pay for my "holiday" 1 week away £700 the cost from our "joint income" would be £1-500 for one week, thats why we/i dont take a break who in their right mind will pay £1-500 for one weeks rest ... what of a married couple is it joint or just the disabled persons income taken into account .. about a year ago i read something about carers who live with the person they care for but are not married or a couple ..must find it .. it said something along the lines that they should be assessed as a couple would that change anything ??? if you are right why have they both said that it was my income that was to high ??? for respite care the war widows and war disabled pensions should be disregarded i believe ??? that would mean her total income would be her reduced state pension ( due to overlaping benefits ) of just about £30 per week, that is why i believe they have said it is my income that is to high ... for me it is the principal of the whole thing i would rather pay the £900 for both of us to have a "holiday" in a posh hotel i would still be working as a carer but no meals or beds to make and no cleaning up ....
67 posts