[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Assessments - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Carers Assessments

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
67 posts
Sort of. The carers assessment didn't do it in itself, but we used the carers assessment to make our voices heard. Without it we would have had to go through other means which wouldn't necessarily have had the same outcome.

Like I often say about these things - the assessments are good, but it's often been my responsibility to make sure I got what I needed and to chase it up. It shouldn't be that way but in my experience it works better when I put it upon myself to get these things followed up rather than leaving it to them and waiting.
The thing is that a carer's assessment is about you. It's about your ability and willingness to provide care, and the impact that providing care is having on your life. If you request a carer's assessment at the time of assessing the person you care for, social services cannot refuse. If the person you care for would be entitled to services but refuses them, and you request a carer's assessment, social services cannot refuse. The assessment should also look at whether you need help to access or remain in employment, and/or access leisure or education/training.

The point of a carer's assessment is to make sure that there are no assumptions made about you as a carer, that your health is protected, that additional help, if needed, is provided. Sometimes that would mean adjusting the arrangements for the person you care for to fit your needs too.

Finally, the assessment should include an emergency plan: "what would happen if..." We all worry about what would happen to our caree if something happened to us: the emergency planning would consider this. Most social workers will tell you "we don't do this" - but it's a part of government guidance and there is even funding for emergency breaks services, which every council with social care responsibilities (at least in England - not sure about other areas) receives.
Well... I did raise an issue that I needed help to get hubby up again when he falls (I'm 10 stone 4ft 9 - he's 12 stone 5ft 10) because I've injured my back picking him up on my own on 2 previous occasions and I was promised a number to call - about a year ago now.

I'm still waiting on that number being delivered and I've decided that next time he falls I'm going to dial 999 and let them get him up - I know it's a waste of tax payers' money but they won't provide me someway to lift him and I can't carry on doing it alone so I don't see as I have any other option.
Summer Hope, 999 is the right action to take. Falls - and their consequences - take up a high proportion of 99 callouts and are seen as perfectly reasonable.
I don't know if its still in operation because my dad hasn't had a fall for a while. But if you rang 999 with a fall Ambulance staff would come out and assess if a hospital visit was required they would take you in. If you didn't need to go in a team would come out later to double check you and then an assessment team would come out and see if anthing could be done to stop a reaccurance
A 999 call for my hubby is a pure waste of time and money... he's refused point blank to go in an ambulance ever since he had the accident that cost him his leg (it's like he blames ambulances for the accident). With that said though, he doesn't have much choice anymore because I KNOW I injured my back picking him up last time and if I do it again, I could end up in a wheelchair too and then we'd have no one to look after us (That's my greatest fear - ending up like that with no one to look after us).

8 years ago, in the first week of January - I think it was the 6th (we'd only just met and arranged our first date), he tripped and fell over a electrical cable which left him with a bleed to the stump but he would not go to hospital in the ambulance that was called for him, he had to get a friend to drive him there in his car instead.

About a year ago when a winch cable snapped and gashed his forehead quite badly, he refused to go to our local minor injuries unit to get his wound glued together again until both me and my mum ganged up on him (not as violent as it sounds - honest!!!) and told him he either took himself or she was coming down and taking him herself.
Hi

I did Carers Assessment it took 3 months to get, I got £150 to spend on me. I had my nails done, tonning beds, brought stuff for my garden.

Was told I could buy washing machine, cooker anything that would help me, I will reapply in Dec but told the amount has gone down to £75 Image Image

Would help if I could get heating allowance, tv licence as Husband home all day.
Yeah ive had one done every year for the last 4 years and last year i got awarded 300 quid for such as holidays which was very nice.SW says this time no one is gunna get awarded any money due to cut backs.
Hi

I did Carers Assessment it took 3 months to get, I got £150 to spend on me. I had my nails done, tonning beds, brought stuff for my garden.

Was told I could buy washing machine, cooker anything that would help me, I will reapply in Dec but told the amount has gone down to £75 Image Image

Would help if I could get heating allowance, tv licence as Husband home all day.

You should get cold weather payments each time the temp drops below freezing for 7 consec days as for the tv licence well theres no such thing as a reduction in that for disabled people which is very wrong.we pay the full wack over direct debit payments same as everyone else.
Still waiting to get home help here.Its already taken nearly 6 weeks and i not heard owt yet.Last time i spoke to SW last friday she told me they the brokers were on with sorting it.Bliddy ridiculous they are.
67 posts