Carers Assessment and Care Act Assessment

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Anybody heard of Carers Assessment and Care Act Assessment and know what's the difference? As I've been going round in circles trying to get the right support and have approached the Advocacy Service asking them to clarify and they have told me to ask the local Adult Care - beyond belief! So much for being paid to listen and support!
A good one !

Numerous recommendations under the Care Act for how carers should be treated when it comes to an assessment.

Unfortunately , recommendations are precisely ... recommendations ... nothing that would be legally binding on a LA unless court action is taken.

A Carers Assessment is governed by said Care Act.
Assessments : The Act gives local authorities a responsibility to assess a carer's needs for support, where the carer appears to have such needs. This replaces the existing law, which says that the carer must be providing 'a substantial amount of care on a regular basis' in order to qualify for an assessment.

For the full sp on Carers Assessments , a link to Carers UK's own guidance ... note ... guidance ... on what constitues an assessment ... from a textbook point of view :

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... assessment

Needless to add , a real post code lottery ... even at the best of times.

Very few LA's now offer little more than token support free of charge ... most will come with a price tag ... usually from £ 15 per hour.

Advocacy Service ... where do they fit in with carers' assessments ?

No joy with your last posting ?

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... 30#p384330
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:16 pm
A good one !

Numerous recommendations under the Care Act for how carers should be treated when it comes to an assessment.

Unfortunately , recommendations are precisely ... recommendations ... nothing that would be legally binding on a LA unless court action is taken.

A Carers Assessment is governed by said Care Act.
Assessments : The Act gives local authorities a responsibility to assess a carer's needs for support, where the carer appears to have such needs. This replaces the existing law, which says that the carer must be providing 'a substantial amount of care on a regular basis' in order to qualify for an assessment.

For the full sp on Carers Assessments , a link to Carers UK's own guidance ... note ... guidance ... on what constitues an assessment ... from a textbook point of view :

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... assessment

Needless to add , a real post code lottery ... even at the best of times.

Very few LA's now offer little more than token support free of charge ... most will come with a price tag ... usually from £ 15 per hour.

Advocacy Service ... where do they fit in with carers' assessments ?

No joy with your last posting ?

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... 30#p384330
Advocacy Service claim to want to support me getting a proper Carers Assessment completed. I've been struggling with them the pasted 2 years, and have had to put in complaints. They insist getting a Carers Assessment is the way to go, although they also insist what they offer is very limited. That's why I'm struggling getting support. Needing support in my Mum's meetings with her social worker - which there have been many and very unhelpful at that, causing me more stress + anxiety.

As to my last posting....alas no joy :(
My recommendation is twofold.

Firstly , after reading the link supplied in my previous posting , decide on what YOU want from a Carers Assessment.

Only YOU can decide that from the problems faced in your own circumstances.

Beyond offering some form of support ... free or otherwise ... little else they do ... won't touch housing / benefits / finances etc.

I will assume that one has yet to be conducted ?

Most LAs have a waiting list ... over two years being one extreme case reported on this forum.

Secondly , Advocacy Service ... why not change if you consider a third party necessary ?

Rare to find one being used for this purpose ... more so on more difficult areas ... CHC / NHS Funded Healthcare ... in particular.
As a result of my complaint to the Ombudsman, the LA Head of LD Services wrote to me saying that they were going to "work with my GP and Public Health".
I have now written to remind them that I have NEVER signed a "Permission to Share Form" and so they should not be writing to ANYONE without my permission.
I have also written to my GP to remind him about "patient confidentiality" and said I forbid him to talk to ANYONE about me.

I am not the problem. My son has learning difficulties. If SSD did their job properly I would not be getting stressed, I would not be overweight with high blood pressure, because I would be doing 20 lengths in the pool every day, as I always used to before I was a carer! If you read articles about stress, it says avoid the cause of the stress. Since I have no desire to shoot my son, I need SSD to do what they are paid to do, meet his needs!!

Butterfly, your LA should have a Carers Strategy. Have you asked them to send you a copy?
There should also be an Older Person's Strategy of some type, although they may call it something different. Ask them to send you a copy of that too.
Then arm yourself with some Post It notes and a highlighter pen. Highlight everything they say they are doing, but aren't to you and mum, then write to them pointing out what they now need to do.

For example
"On page 18, paragraph 2, it says carers will be sent on 2 weeks holiday. Please can they tell me why you haven't had this?"
Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:33 pm
My recommendation is twofold.

Firstly , after reading the link supplied in my previous posting , decide on what YOU want from a Carers Assessment.

Only YOU can decide that from the problems faced in your own circumstances.

Beyond offering some form of support ... free or otherwise ... little else they do ... won't touch housing / benefits / finances etc.

I will assume that one has yet to be conducted ?

Most LAs have a waiting list ... over two years being one extreme case reported on this forum.

Secondly , Advocacy Service ... why not change if you consider a third party necessary ?

Rare to find one being used for this purpose ... more so on more difficult areas ... CHC / NHS Funded Healthcare ... in particular.
Hi. I know what I need from a Carers Assessment. Just that the LA don't seem to be very organized as I've had one in the past which wasn't done properly. Ie Carers Budget amounted to barely £5 a day for day trips I go on once a month.

As to changing Advocacy Services, there is only the one unhelpful useless one. Who are more interested in dictating and siding with the LA as they have qualified (non practicing) social workers working form them
One link which may be of assistance here ... Pohwer ... a nationwide advocacy service :

https://www.pohwer.net/Pages/Category/in-your-area

If the local LA pointed you to a particular local advocacy service company , the question of a potential conflict of interest may arise despite " Chinese walls " between to the two.

Always best to seek out one with no potential ties ... despite contradictory information on the main NHS site.

LAs have vested interests to protect ... most apt being monies !

A prior carers assessment ... not done in the correct way ?

Care to elaborate a little more so that we can get to the root of the problem ?

The financial element ?

Or , a combination of factors ?
Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:24 pm
One link which may be of assistance here ... Pohwer ... a nationwide advocacy service :

https://www.pohwer.net/Pages/Category/in-your-area

If the local LA pointed you to a particular local advocacy service company , the question of a potential conflict of interest may arise despite " Chinese walls " between to the two.

Always best to seek out one with no potential ties ... despite contradictory information on the main NHS site.

LAs have vested interests to protect ... most apt being monies !

A prior carers assessment ... not done in the correct way ?

Care to elaborate a little more so that we can get to the root of the problem ?

The financial element ?

Or , a combination of factors ?

I made enquiries with Pohwer, they don't operate in the North West area.

This particular advocacy service is one they commission/allocate - the only choice. I have spent since 2012 getting the right support. Which was initially due to my Mum deemed Self-Funding, coz of CCG not doing proper Checklist/DST Assessment from the start.

The actual advocacy service are interested in helping me with a Carers Assessment and/or Care Act Assessment, which they assume in understand and know the difference. They try to give me the impression they want to help me get a proper Carers Assessment. I was hoping with more access to advocacy, as they insist it's limited to just my Mum's Care Plan. When info I've found:

Bury Advocacy Hub is commissioned by Bury Council to provide the following types of independent advocacy:

•Statutory Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)

•Statutory Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

•Statutory Care Act Advocacy (CAA)

•Non-statutory Generic Advocacy

When you get Hobson's Choice and it's no choice..... sick to the back teeth wherever I turn :(

The financial element is just one element, as I got on day coach trips to help me switch off. Combination of factors really.

The Carers Centre locally that has a Carers Forum which I'm avoid going to. As the chairperson is, was the previous Mayor I contacted about my Mum's care fees situation; whom assured me she could/wanted to help. Which she caused more problems, ie somehow the social worker accused me of having a problem with them, which they claimed was the issue. Painting me in an even more bad light.

So I've left a message of LA's Carers Co-ordinator with a list of questions
Another link from an internet search ... NORTH WEST ENGLAND ADVOCACY SERVICES ... which may be of assistance :

http://ncompassnorthwest.co.uk/

Lancashire hub :

http://ncompassnorthwest.co.uk/services ... vocacy-hub

Keep us appraised of future deveopments.

Your experiences may assist others in similar situations on different manors.
2 sheets from the same roll of toilet paper for all the help they've proven to be