Carers Assessment

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I haven't got a draft copy yet, when I asked about it the care co-ordinator(not a social worker) said they are prioritizing the emergency's ie someone was currently losing their home. She did say there would be no DP though, they might replace a broken bed and that would be all. I want to know what the purpose of the assessment is though, if someone is a full time carer then they will, by definition have needs and it seems these needs are allowed to be unmet. My son is at home full time, he has allocated PA hours but no day service will take him and no overnight respite exists for his unusal and high needs, for that reason I cannot keep up with stuff at home, most especially the garden. I feel very strongly that I was put through an enormously intrusive assessment in the belief it would be for my benefit, there is no way on this earth I would reveal to anyone what I had to in the assessment and this has left me very angry, more angry than I was before the assessment.
Then it's time to tell the assessor that according to a recent Local Government's Ombudsman's decision, the assessment should be finalised within 4-6 weeks!
I mentioned this at a recent learning disability meeting attended by most of the people concerned with LD in the area, the officers were aghast when I said it!!!
MaryB wrote:I haven't got a draft copy yet, when I asked about it the care co-ordinator(not a social worker) said they are prioritizing the emergency's ie someone was currently losing their home. She did say there would be no DP though, they might replace a broken bed and that would be all. I want to know what the purpose of the assessment is though, if someone is a full time carer then they will, by definition have needs and it seems these needs are allowed to be unmet. My son is at home full time, he has allocated PA hours but no day service will take him and no overnight respite exists for his unusal and high needs, for that reason I cannot keep up with stuff at home, most especially the garden. I feel very strongly that I was put through an enormously intrusive assessment in the belief it would be for my benefit, there is no way on this earth I would reveal to anyone what I had to in the assessment and this has left me very angry, more angry than I was before the assessment.
I agree with you about the carers assessment being intrusive. The first one I had done didn't allow any help so I had the wait for a second one and I was made to have to sign for the social worker to see my GP records. Really bad and no proper assistance came from it either. I complained again and asked for it to be done again and I have been totally ignored ever since last year.
bowlingbun wrote:Then it's time to tell the assessor that according to a recent Local Government's Ombudsman's decision, the assessment should be finalised within 4-6 weeks!
I mentioned this at a recent learning disability meeting attended by most of the people concerned with LD in the area, the officers were aghast when I said it!!!
Mine took months and I still haven't had a grant for a holiday. I have written and complained and the response has not even answered properly any of my complaint about it. Near on a year since the first assessment was done.