[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Older and disabled Londoners loneliest - Carers UK Forum

Older and disabled Londoners loneliest

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Older and disabled Londoners loneliest as 'friendly north' lives up to reputation

London is a lonely place to live for those using care services, a new survey finds
http://www.theguardian.com/social-care- ... liest-care
It doesn't surprise me and I see my old home borough Lambeth is right up there.I don't know though, I have got mixed feelings about it to be honest.

"Reach out to huge swathes of people..", how and with what resources? While services are being cut to the bone, there is going to be bugger all anyway!
In another thread there has been quite lively discussion of the Carers Assessment being the gateway to services and I think it can be agreed that this is dependent on where one lives, provision of any services can also be affected by the borough one lives in. Many councils now will only intervene and provide care services if someone's needs are critical so many of those who have even substantial needs are falling out of the loop.

I can't help but think that we can't just lay the blame at Social Services door on this one though, what about our responsibility to our fellow human beings? If people checked in on neighbours, passed the time of day, maybe enquired if a pint of milk etc is needed then there wouldn't be this massive problem. I find it very sad. :(
I'm afraid I just thought isolation of carers not taken into account. Carers groups should be in every locality-not borough or county wide as these preclude those that live on edge of county/borough. Why restrict access on grounds of who you pay rates to. Distance is problem if caree can't be left too long. Also once a month is poor. If you are really isolated then a month is a hell of a long time to wait. A week can feel like forever! It shouldn't be left to places of worship either as these are denomination dependent and not everyone is a believer- it 'don't' make you a worse person for it. Also these places attract the elderly-not all carers are that either. We want to remain young. Since loneliness /isolation are triggers for dementia -have the good government (and they are all the same) not thought that these diagnoses carry a financial burden to society in the long run. I guess you don't know what isolation/loneliness is unless you have been a carer and especially if you are a people person by nature with a little stuffing between the ears. They just don't listen to those that experience it. No good saying what we save them because in long run it will cost them in health bills. Sorry, enough said.
Yes, sadly I am not surprised by this either, Ladybird.

What is not mentioned because it is not "politically correct" is that many boroughs, especially in the east and south of London have elderly isolated people who are scared to leave their homes because it is not the area they grew up in, ie very racially diverse, housing estates with gang issues etc. If you live and/or work in these areas, you generally do not make eye contact / talk to strangers etc but go about your business with as little interraction as possible. Very sad.

Dotty, it is not just the councils that impose restrictions on area. My mum lives on the edge of two London boroughs, one much more prosperous than the other (relatively speaking). The "prosperous one" (where I live) has branches of Age UK and Alzheimers UK. My mum cannot access their services because she pays council tax to the "poorer" one where Age UK closed three years ago through lack of funding.

I have been to the local Carers' Group but it is very much aimed at the elderly carer. Young carers, of which there are many, and even my age (working carer) are not considered important. Events are also held during the daytime so I am limited to what I can attend.
and it doesn't get any better when your Caring role ends either !

My borough has plenty of groups/activities for the young Mum with toddler age group, and for the infirm over 80's but absolutely nothing for the active 60-70 somethings :( I can go days without having a conversation with anyone other than the cat !

If I want to meet people of my own age with similar interests I have to be prepared to do a lot of internet searching and go much further afield - trying to make friends within my own locality is almost an impossibility !
Yes, a very common problem. My friend in Bedford (who is 65 this week) has found University of the Third Age quite useful for this. Have you tried them?

http://www.suttonu3a.org.uk/

Not sure who you would meet but it may be of interest .....
Anne001 wrote:Yes, a very common problem. My friend in Bedford (who is 65 this week) has found University of the Third Age quite useful for this. Have you tried them?

http://www.suttonu3a.org.uk/

Not sure who you would meet but it may be of interest .....
Actually the Sutton branch is not very active :( Nearest one with anything going on is Ewell - and that's 3 buses and a fair walk away if I don't take the car !
I live in a former mining town of some 10,000 people in Scotland. Today being a fine day, I walked the dog (and caree!) to town for some lager for tonight's football. Everyone I know was out in their garden or the street, it took ages catching up with all the gossip and news. And round here, people you have never met stop to discuss the weather or just say hello ... it's brilliant.