[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers and Debt - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Carers and Debt

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
i cant get a loan cos Im a carer, if I was on unemployment i could. australia has barely started the economic downfall that others are in the grip of yet our politicians give emselves a minimum 250,000 a year pay rise. while carers have to do everything with nothing.
Main thing is to get proper advice and support.
Hope this of some help to you.
Well looking at all this, I think the best advice and support is to not give up your job in the first place unless you have sufficient to live on from a pension or other means. Carers Allowance isn't enough to live on, so why pretend? If your caree needs 24 hour care, unless you or they have a lot of money, the first port of call for help must be your social services department, and they must be told that you are not willing to be a doormat or to go broke for the sake of some crazy principle. Then negotiate and watch the offer start to rise.

I'm a working carer, have been for twenty years, and thankfully we live very well: nice home, two cars, university fees for the kids, holidays etc. This isn't by a fluke, it took very careful financial and career planning. Today I was out working whilst my son enjoyed an evening in Glasgow at the pictures with his peer support-worker: the flexible budget we receive allows me to purchase respite when I need it. At the risk of being very unpopular here, if you aren't getting the support you need to enjoy a decent life, then you need to consider the possibility that you are either not trying hard enough or are sending out all the wrong messages.
Scally, no one can argue with what you say and I for one agree with you 100%, but you are a very strong intelligent character and therefore have the 'tools' to take on the establishment far easier than most of us can.
I am a very independent person and worked on my own for many years. Asking for help was alien to me and I naturally tried to do it all myself. This was my problem, as I turned away earlier help and caused myself a lot of unnecessary stress.
I read these things and I'm at a bit of a loss...if your carer is say your mum and you live with her or your hubbie/wife/live in partner...do they not get disability living allowence? if so then why is that not being used to pay the bills? if they get high rate dla then you get a premium in your IS or JSA...this is how I live and I have a £300+ bank loan as well as other debts...yet I'm not I'm not anywhere close the the situations I've read here (was before getting dla)...so why the huge contrast? (sorry for thread hijacking)
It's easy to fall into debt when you lose income. Most of us spend according to our income: a lot of it through direct debits. If your caring situation comes to the point where you lose some of that income, the debts will mount up. Benefits are rarely high enough to replace a wage.
[quote]It's easy to fall into debt when you lose income. Most of us spend according to our income]
aaahh I see. Thanks for answering, I wasn't trying to be facetious or anything...it's a matter of perspective on benefits then(my view I mean, not anyones financial difficulties)...for me dla and carers is a fortune but to someone whose used to earing and spending 3 times that amount it's not much...
Hello Sparklingtechie,
Had to reply to your post. I understand this is your experience of DLA and carers, but a fortune?? Before I became a full time stay at home carer to my daughter, I was certainly not earning and able to spend '3 times that amount'- as a working lone parent my meagre income was made up of wages and tax credits. Now with an essential motability adapted vehicle (without which my daughter would not get out and about) the mobility component used up leaving the meagre care component and carers allowance/income support and child tax credit for the other children. Rightly or wrongly all income goes into the pot, but with debts hanging over me - it's a real struggle (and I wasn't and am not a profligate spender).
Hello Sparklingtechie,
Had to reply to your post. I understand this is your experience of DLA and carers, but a fortune?? Before I became a full time stay at home carer to my daughter, I was certainly not earning and able to spend '3 times that amount'- as a working lone parent my meagre income was made up of wages and tax credits. Now with an essential motability adapted vehicle (without which my daughter would not get out and about) the mobility component used up leaving the meagre care component and carers allowance/income support and child tax credit for the other children. Rightly or wrongly all income goes into the pot, but with debts hanging over me - it's a real struggle (and I wasn't and am not a profligate spender).
During the 'Thatcher reign' lived on £17 a fortnight to buy nappies and food with after paying bills(this was with hubbie working). I now get *gets calculator out* approx 21.5 times that amount taking in income support as well as DLA as well as high premium as well as child ben. So yes..to me that is a fortune.
Sparklingtechie,
Without wishing to be disrepectful to you, your post made me feel inadequate and to blame for the situation I find myself in (and many, many others - and more to come, I'm afraid). Misfortune can hit you out of the blue and what you took for granted disappears over night - perhaps this is where I am guilty, of not expecting and preparing for the worst case scenario.
I was lucky I worked though the Thatcher years - earning £19 a week which went straight to my parents because my Dad was out of work and we had a family of seven - the cost of living and times move on (and up).
I really don't believe your experience is typical for the majority, reading through the posts on this site.
nobody need feel inadequate for getting into difficulties financially whilst caring.
When my younger son died suddenly, we had to find almost £3000 for his funeral. How did we do that without getting into even more debt?There was no way we could. Jobcentre plus refused to give us a grant towards costs at first,and it was thanks to someone on here that we appealed successfully. We had already got interest though on our credit card.
Just before we managed to pay that off,part of our chimney fell and had to be taken down.That was nearly £2000.We very nearly declared ourselves bankrupt, as I had just had enough then, and could not see in any way how we could possibly get our heads above water again.Thankfully, due to someone else on the forum who has been through bankruptcy,I read enough to make me and my husband decide to struggle on.
We are now in a better position financially,but it only takes one or two large unexpected bills to knock a family sideways.My daughter and sister helped us out by buying food and petrol for us, while we paid off our son's funeral costs.