[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Still no diagnosis - Carers UK Forum

Still no diagnosis

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Not sure where to go from here, its now been well over a year of trying to get a diagnosis for my friend and still nothing. My friend has been showing symptoms of dementia for many years but all test's, MRI,CT & Specscan are apparently all fine. About a month ago, she saw a Neurophsycologist & Neurophychiatrist, both together at the Hospital. When I explained to them what was happening, all I got from them was "Hmm"and one of them asked me if I was a relative or friend. They then went on and asked my friend a few questions which she could not answer. We were then asked to wait outside for a few minutes. Once we were called back in, they had decided that they wanted another scan ( Datscan) done & wanted the memory test repeated in a few month time. They hinted that this could be "just depression". I'm not a doctor & I have no medical qualifications but this is not depression. If one looks up the symptoms of dementia, you could tick of every single symptom. I feel that I am not being taking on,so to speak, by those doctors. They know I share a flat with her & care for her, which was questioned within the first minute of seeing them & without as much as asking my friend any questions! I really dont like how this consultation went. I get the feeling this is going to be swept under the carpet. They don't see what she is like. They see her max 1 hour. Its impossible to make a proper assessment of a person in that time. They should spend a couple of days here,then they see plenty. To make matters worse, the appointment for this Datscan arrived today & my friend is now refusing to have this scan. Don't know what to do. GP is not much help. She's also getting more aggressive,i.e I had workmen in the house a few days ago & they asked were the light switch was & before I could tell them, my friend questioned them, in a very aggressive tone, why the needed to know that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sometimes it can take quite a while for dementia to be diagnosed and you have to keep pushing. I am having the same problem regarding my hubbys memory problems and he too has been told it is probably depression (hes not depressed either).

Try keeping a diary recording all things she does and/or says which you can refer to and try to get her to have the scan. The best way of doing this with someone with dementia is not to say anything about it until the day, or the day before, the scan and then just remind them that they have the appointment and take them. Dont try to reason or argue with them.

And keep pushing
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm keeping a diary of everything, unfortunately she got hold of the appointment letter before I did. The scan will be another 2 weeks yet, I know this sounds terrible what I'm about to say...but I'm sure she will have forgotten about it, if she hasn't already. Its so frustrating dealing with all this without support.
No that doesnt sound awful at all dopey - it sounds par for the course. Thats why I suggested what to do. In the meantime take the appointment letter and put it somewhere out of sight.
Just a thought, and this might be too expensive to consider, but would it be possible for you to hire, privately, a carer from an agency who is experienced with dementia patients, and invite her to come over to you for a few hours? You could say she is a friend, or something like that, and she could spend the time 'visiting' you, but also observing your friend and her behaviour.

If the carer thinks that your friend's behaviour is 'identical' to that of dementia patients, that may help persuade the doctors?

Even better, hire and actual dementia nurse!

As I say, this may not be financially possible. Not entirely sure about the 'ethics' either, even though it's in your friend's interests??

Anyway, just a thought!

Hope you get an accurate diagnosis, followed by good treatment and management, before too much longer.

Kind regards, Jenny
Will do,thank you
I would consider it but its to expensive Jenny.
In my area the Alzheimers Society are very active - the South Coast has a high proportion of elderly retirees, so inevitably higher than average number of dementia patients. Maybe you could see if there was a branch in your area, or a helpline?
If you live with your caree, and you are the carer, then the hospital should listen to you and treat you respectfully. If they are concerned about patient confidentiality, then they should ask your friend if it's OK for you to be present during examinations etc. and that should be recorded on her notes. Is it so difficult for them to realise that someone going to see them due to ?dementia might be forgetful?!
bowlingbun wrote:In my area the Alzheimers Society are very active - the South Coast has a high proportion of elderly retirees, so inevitably higher than average number of dementia patients. Maybe you could see if there was a branch in your area, or a helpline?
If you live with your caree, and you are the carer, then the hospital should listen to you and treat you respectfully. If they are concerned about patient confidentiality, then they should ask your friend if it's OK for you to be present during examinations etc. and that should be recorded on her notes. Is it so difficult for them to realise that someone going to see them due to ?dementia might be forgetful?!

Hallo bowlingbun, we live in a very small place & unfortunately there are no support groups etc. I am her carer & yes the doctors should be listening to me. When I had my carers assessment, the Social Worker discussed this with me as she herself has encountered many carers in this area who have problems with this particular hospital. I wasn't sure if I could get in touch with the Alzheimers society as no diagnosis has been made. But I certainly will try them. Thank you.
It is fine to contact The Alzheimers Society before a diagnosis. They have lots of information and a forum which I have found very helpful