4 billion pounds for working carers ?????

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
UK Business leaders claimed as a result of the SHARON COLEMAN ruling in european courts said if she wins her next round they would need 4 bilion pounds from central government to help them ? implement the change in law to enable up to 5 million workers who have caring responsibilities for a disabled child or adult within their family remain at work without discrimination. first of all why should government pay for this iam sure large companies could afford it but smaller firms may have to get financial help .
I cant get my head round any of this why should it cost anything at all just to allow an employee to come in to work late or leave early get the odd day off or even work from home when i was working i was on constant nights and was in fact looking after both parents but 90% of my time was looking after STAN who`s mobility was in 1995 zero and he relied on wheelchair after 2 years it was obvious to me that i could not work and care at the same time so it was either STAN goes into care home or i gave up wok to care for him and in 1997 thats what i did at the time i did not even know of carers allowance this allowance was a little bonus for me but as time went by you find out just how much you give up financialy.
i still cant understand what working carers want.
i still believe that the state should pay a real wage to carers to reflect the work we do the carers would then be able to give up work and care for their disabled relatives the problem is that when at work you may be on a large wage but even £200 carers allowance (i wish) may not be enough for someone to give up work .
as a 24/7 carer who receives the carers allowance i know what i want its just an increase in the allowance and help with council tax , prescription charges, dentistry, and optical and free respite care at least 4/8 weeks per year .
if the state end up paying out 4 billion for working carers will there be anything left for us 24/7 carers .
please note ive got nowt against working carers as indicated i was one for just over 2 years but when i was working i just dont know what could have been done to help me remain at work and still be able to care for STAN. Image
You're right George, there's no reason why allowing people felxibility should cost anywhere near that kind of money. Many top businesses already do this for their employees and in fact there is evidence to say that it actually saves money.

This section of our website is aimed at Employers and you can see the kind of companies who are supporting carers
http://www.carersuk.org/Employersforcarers

The business benefits are there
http://www.carersuk.org/Employersforcar ... ssbenefits

The business benefits of supporting carers include:

✓ lower staff turnover
✓ reduced recruitment and training costs
✓ greater productivity
✓ lower absenteeism
✓ higher staff morale
✓ higher levels of trust in working relationships
✓ improved company image
✓ improved recruitment.
as much as this is a good thing for working carers there are still us 24/7 carers left in the cold, i long to go to work in some form or other but i know an employer would make excuses as to why i wouldn't be suitable.

Alot of carers have respite for their caree's my son has no respite at all so we literally have no break only when he goes to school which is the only time we get to do house work, go shopping, run errands for his meds etc pretty much every day is fully booked for us it's constant. The real insult though is that if my son were to be in care it would cost a fortune for 2 staff to look after him 24/7 and yet i am not even considered for the caring i do for him.

Sadly i don't see this changing, carers are taken major advantage of in this system and we have little option than to like it or lump it.
IAM very lucky i could get job now but i dont think its right that state should pay someone to look after the old doll to enable me to work i just cant see the economic sense in it at all even if i was working i would still have to care for the old doll when at home no way could i do what i was doing in the past thats both working and caring as ive said carers allowance should be higher to enable carers to give up work and care full time.

george
IAM very lucky i could get job now but i dont think its right that state should pay someone to look after the old doll to enable me to work i just cant see the economic sense in it at all even if i was working i would still have to care for the old doll when at home no way could i do what i was doing in the past thats both working and caring as ive said carers allowance should be higher to enable carers to give up work and care full time.
Put it another way George: if the government did pay someone to give you that chance to work, it would take two people off benefits, not one. Why deny someone the chance of a job? Its not as if care workers get paid a lot, and they pay direct and indirect taxes on their wages.

Anyway, most carers are not sole carers, most of us who can share the care around the family a bit. Sole carers are probably the exception, not the rule, though you wouldn't think that to read many posts here.
I know what you say but i just cant get my head round to that way of thinking
its just me i think my main problem and ive said it before the old doll is very nervous since STAN died and she will not allow strangers to care for her.

george
Excalibur said:
Anyway, most carers are not sole carers, most of us who can share the care around the family a bit. Sole carers are probably the exception, not the rule, though you wouldn't think that to read many posts here.
Image I'm not so sure of that, I think in a lot of cases the bulk of caring falls to one family member. Image
Before DP, it was just me 7 nights a week no sleep and daytime work hours cut and now apart from the 2 nights DP it's still just me the rest of the week.

All this just seems to be confirmed by what we see at local Carer Centres and also on places like this one.

marie x
Image A sole carer here..... for two people, OH and friend across the road. No chance of any family help with OH and friend's nearest relative lives in South Africa, (just a tad far away) so it's just me.
I don't see why it should cost that much either. But seeing as the Government have found as much money to put into Northern Rock as they save by us caring for our loved ones, I'd say £4 billion is a small price to pay.

Mandy
dont talk about N ROCK me and another on this site have family members who work at N ROCK me got my cash in it not much its LAURAS uni money

iam only one who can care for the old doll al others got kids my brother himself is ill his wife ill however we do get some help now and agian had 2 offers from someone on this site to help with old doll more than family members have offered in last few weeks .

when STAN was alive i was looking after him and the old doll + now and again picking up LAURA from school and looked after her every other w/end when all were working looking back it was far to much but STAN used to love her staying with us .

GEORGE = i think carers who care for more than 1 person should get double even if in the future allowance is increased