Carers' Advocacy Support - Advice Needed

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi there. I was lead to believe by the local Advocacy Service that I could get 'all the help I needed'. Then on another occasion that it was limited according to the new Carers' Care Act - which is supposedly very narrow indeed. After extensively trying to communicate and not able to be heard by them who are in existence for carers to be heard, I ended up putting in a complaint; which also fell on deaf ears. Me thinks coz they are commissioned by the local authority who I need advocacy support to deal with. I've been going round in circles for over 2 years + am exhausted. I've written an email to their Manager to try yet again to get help. As not only is all this making me more ill, but I have urgent issues needing help/support with ie my Mother's care plan sorting. Which somehow has fallen by the way-side.

Surely it's not beyond the realms of decency for me to get the right Advocacy help/support that I need in-spite of what they term as me needing a Carers' Care Act Assessment? What I've been hoping would/could happen was for me to get an Advocate to assist me get a Carers Assessment to ensure I get me the right ongoing Advocacy in meetings (which is what I was lead to believe could happen and hasn't). Sick + tired of feeling I'm barking up the wrong tree. When there supposedly is the 'right support' in place, but seems like a needle in a haystack situation. Help!
Who are you complaining to? I have advocacy arranged by the County Council to deal with my complaints against them and the care provider. So it's the Council, not the care provider, you should complain to about not meeting the Care Act requirements. If they don't or won't comply, go to the Ombudsman.
However, have they given mum an advocate? My son has one as well as me.

You need to make your complaints to the Complaints Office, NOT the local office. Copy your letter to the Director of Social Services too.
bowlingbun wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:26 am
Who are you complaining to? I have advocacy arranged by the County Council to deal with my complaints against them and the care provider. So it's the Council, not the care provider, you should complain to about not meeting the Care Act requirements. If they don't or won't comply, go to the Ombudsman.
However, have they given mum an advocate? My son has one as well as me.

You need to make your complaints to the Complaints Office, NOT the local office. Copy your letter to the Director of Social Services too.
I asked what the Advocacy Service's remit is, they referred me to the local authority's website that has info, I have checked out yet. As what I've researched shows I should be getting all the help I need.

My Mum has an Advocate herself. Who together with the previous 'social worker' dictator, claimed my Mum wants to go in a Care Home. When she's adamant she want to stay at home.

The Director of Social Services is disinterested, together with the Ombudsman. I have been exhausting myself the past 3 years on that front.
Sorry, in that case I'm all out of ideas. It's so exhausting trying to get the support needed for someone you love. No one ever seems to think that it would be easier for all of us to walk away, that we are "making a fuss" because we know that person so well, and love and care for them in every sense of the word.