Why DO we care? Why?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
A simple question, I know, but why do we do it? Many others don't. Why do we sacrifice some, if not the majority of our precious time, for the sake of others? What is it that drives some of us in that direction, when others just walk away? What makes us want to, or need to, care? What is caring anyway? Will someone do the same for us?
Can't speak for others but I decided to care for my mum (dementia, arthritis and heart problems) simply because I loved her, and it didn't feel like a sacrifice to me. If anything I think I gained more from it than she did.
She looked after me when I was little and helpless, now it was my turn; sense of duty perhaps.

I reckon caring, and the need to care, evolved as an inbuilt survival mechanism to perpetuate species, which is the primary aim of life itself, or so I was taught in biology. After all, if parents didn't care for their young offspring until they were old enough to take care off themselves (human or animal) we'd have all died out a long, long, long time ago. In that respect caring is as ruthless as killing when it comes to survival.

What is caring anyway? Looking out for one another. I know I'd much rather live in a caring society, than an uncaring one. People thrive much better in caring, cooperative societies, so from that point of view, caring could be viewed as selfish.... you scratch my back, matey, and I'll scratch yours.

Will someone do the same for us? I bloody well hope so!
Yes, it's a mixture of love, empathy, practicality, and pay-forward.
What makes someone void of empathy, i watch the news off and on and you see so much of it, from the mass violence, government to big corporations, well you could say they are one of the same :lol: how corporations are in the pockets of the government, anyway i'm side tracking now.
I would say i have a lot of empathy.
Hi ,having a twin who is disabled ,you could say i was born to care ,but it only dawned on me that our parents were not going to live forever when i was in my twenties .
Suffering from depression didn't help ,instead of going down to that London in 1988 ,i should have gone ten years before ,i could have got my own house ,helped my parents buy their house so Malcolm and me could have it when they had passed on ,but it is hard to plan things when you wish you were dead most of the time .
And to be honest my brother and me didn't get on all that well ,short story he made our parents life harder than it should have been .
It finally hit me the time my dad came home from the pub one night and he was a bit tearful talking to one of our older brothers ,what is going to happen to Malcolm i heard him say ?,it was then i thought i would have to look after Malcolm (i have told this before ,sorry for repeating myself ) .
Anyway we don't have a bad life ,i would rather be doing this than being stuck in that London .
Yes, exactly. To paraphrase from the Bard ...
Some of us are born to care, some of us seek to care, and most of us have caring thrust upon us ...
Talking of that London ,one thing that used to make me laugh was Maxwell house ,the headquarters of the bouncing Czech robert maxwell :D .
And not far away ,the statue in the middle of Holborn Circus ,one time someone stuck a traffic cone on it's head ,it was there for ages.
david c wrote:Talking of that London ,one thing that used to make me laugh was Maxwell house ,the headquarters of the bouncing Czech robert maxwell :D .
And not far away ,the statue in the middle of Holborn Circus ,one time someone stuck a traffic cone on it's head ,it was there for ages.
Thats Prince Albert.
We have a statue of the Duke of Wellington in Glasgow that has a permanent traffic cone on his head: so famous that it was featured in the very quirky opening ceremony to the Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2014.
On the Cromwell rd (A4) heading out of that London ,some christian wrote on a wall ,And god so loved the world he gave his only son ,i went past one time someone had added a y to the end so it read sony. :D
'THAT' London? What's with the 'that'? Never heard it before. Is this some southern quirk?