[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carer & in Full time education...Tribunal...ARGH! - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Carer & in Full time education...Tribunal...ARGH!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
70 posts
A carer in Lutterworth, Leics. got onto the media a few weeks ago: she seems to have been a full-time student but argued that her studies took place while her daughter was in school and she did not need to provide care at that time - but did outside of study hours when her daughter was at home.

She won her appeal, but I don't know if this was the reason - it's what the media said but I cannot guarantee their accuracy.
[quote]A carer in Lutterworth, Leics. got onto the media a few weeks ago]

Thanks charles do you have any websites or news articles about this

Thanks
WOW!!! cheers, thats amazing.
Hi Alex - I was about to send the link but I notice that "fastest click in the West" aka Rosemary has beaten me to the draw!
Hi Alex - I was about to send the link but I notice that "fastest click in the West" aka Rosemary has beaten me to the draw!
Oh why could you not have said chick Charles Image Image Image Image
Hi

The case shows it can be won. Feedback from our Advice Team is that the outcomes of tribunals do not necessarily set a precedent. But you never know your luck.

That aside, Carers UK is campaigning for the abolition of the '21 hour study rule' which prevents many carers from studying and claiming Carer's Allowance.
Brilliant news...that surely must set a really important precedent - and will now encourage every other student to try for benefit, as well as encouraging carers to apply to study. It really is too stupid and short sighted to prevent carers from studying by driving them into poverty - how are they supposed to get a job when caring finishes as it must?
Further feedback suggests that the case centred on whether the study amounted to 21 hours or not rather than challenging the 21 hour rule itself.

We'll still keep campaigning for the abolition of the rule.
Brilliant news...that surely must set a really important precedent - and will now encourage every other student to try for benefit, as well as encouraging carers to apply to study. It really is too stupid and short sighted to prevent carers from studying by driving them into poverty - how are they supposed to get a job when caring finishes as it must?
Unfortunately, Tribunals cannot set a binding precedent that has to go via the High Court, House of Lords or Court of Appeal. Meaning that if more students apply and keep getting rejected the Tribunal Service will just recommened students to challenge it with the aforementioned courts.
70 posts