[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Caree's in prison!!! - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Caree's in prison!!!

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Thel, he's not currently in prison. He is to report to the police station tomorrow (with someone who can read and write - aka me) to presumably sign some papers agreeing to pay the victim back. As he has now decided to to go to trial, I'll be advising the police to send the papers to his solicitor so he can read them and gather the background info on the case since he has now got a different solicitor after his other one went away until the end of January.

He feels that he'd rather pay his debt to society rather than pay his victim again for items he'd already paid for once

g.herschel, he is not charged with benefit fraud - that's something we are both very against after seeing a lot of it happening both in the family and in society... unfortunately nothing seems to get done about it, yet they'd soon be on the case of genuine carers and carees if any errors were made Image

Maxi, I wouldn't hold my breath too much in hoping logic would be employed in the serving of justice Image He was bound over to keep the peace for 12 months almost 4 years ago for disarming the same victim after they went at him with a knife. It seems it's better to stand there and be stabbed (and possibly paralised) than to defend yourself nowdays
Summer Hope, I don't have any useful advice for you, but just wanted to send YOU some support, this must be very stressful for you on top of everything else.
I too have no advice to give you. (((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))
Thel, he's not currently in prison. He is to report to the police station tomorrow (with someone who can read and write - aka me) to presumably sign some papers agreeing to pay the victim back. As he has now decided to to go to trial, I'll be advising the police to send the papers to his solicitor so he can read them and gather the background info on the case since he has now got a different solicitor after his other one went away until the end of January.
is it in the Magistrates Court or Crown Court?
I'm not sure as yet... the DC is being very cryptive - playing his cards VERY CLOSE to his chest. He's saying that he's only arranging the idea of paying the victim back as a favour to us, like we should be grateful for some reason.

He's also trying to screw us in any which way he can - including using my caree's previous offences and trying to add them onto the new case or create a secondry case where there is none.

The stress of it all is already starting to take it's toll on his health, both physically and mentally. Needless to say, I'm worried about him.
I'm not sure as yet... the DC is being very cryptive - playing his cards VERY CLOSE to his chest. He's saying that he's only arranging the idea of paying the victim back as a favour to us, like we should be grateful for some reason.

He's also trying to screw us in any which way he can - including using my caree's previous offences and trying to add them onto the new case or create a secondry case where there is none.

The stress of it all is already starting to take it's toll on his health, both physically and mentally. Needless to say, I'm worried about him.
DC??

Is that detective constable or defence counsel or something else?

Sorry, I'm just asking to see if I can help you in any way
It's detective constable
It's detective constable
Ah, so we're really at the start of proceedings, OK.

At the moment what the DC is doing is preparing to pass the case over to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). The police's job is to gather all relevant information about the case and pass it over to the Crown Prosecution Service who will decide whether or not to prosecute. the police DO NOT make that decision, they can charge but it is not up to them which court the case will be heard in.

In the information passed to the CPS there is often a list of previous convictions, cautions, reprimands and any sentence served. That only comes into play if he's sentenced and it will be used by the defence to mitigate (but that's a long way away)

If you want to discuss more about this feel free to PM, I've done a law degree, I'm training to be a barrister and I'm a volunteer that monitors my local young offenders prison.

Any advice I give you is simply law advice and I'd always advise you to seek professional legal advice Image
I have been studying law part time on and off for the past 3 or 4 years, but I've only studied entry level thus far so I have a rough awareness of the procedures. That said, I have learned enough to have a few questions on the way that the case is being handled and the legality of that. There is just too much of the case raising too many questions for me to simply leave things be right now.

With the withdrawal of legal aid, I'm scared to use a solicitor too much because of having to find the money to pay him so I've been trying to do as much research as I can using google - but even that never seems to tell you the full story clearly.

With the withdrawal of legal aid, I'm scared to use a solicitor too much because of having to find the money to pay him so I've been trying to do as much research as I can using google - but even that never seems to tell you the full story clearly.
check to see if there are local services or universities that can represent him on a pro bono basis.