[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Friend told he should care for me for free - Carers UK Forum

Friend told he should care for me for free

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My friend get carers for me but had a visit from the DWP and was told he should care for me for free and shouldn't claim carers if we were in a relationship. Is this true? I am confused as I know partners and husbands and wife's claim carers...surely it is the same thing if he was my boyfriend?
Hello Ruth

unless there are other underlying factors that affect your friend's eligibility to claim Carers Allowance then I think he's been given the wrong information.

Have a read of this factsheet from Carers UK
https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advic ... -allowance

But as I'm no expert on benefits I suggest that you contact the Carers UK Adviceline team as they are the experts on all matters related to caring and benefits.
Need expert advice? You can talk to the Carers UK Adviceline five days a week, no matter where you are in the UK or how complex your query is. We do benefits checks and advise on financial and practical matters related to caring.

0808 808 7777
advice@carersuk.org
Open Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm

The Carers UK Adviceline also includes a listening service, there for you to talk through your caring situation with a trained volunteer who understands what you are going through. Available Mondays and Tuesdays, from 9am to 7pm.

If you can’t get through on the phones (lines are often oversubscribed) then send them an email, they’ll usually get back to you within 3-5 working days.
Thank you. I have phoned and someone is phoning me back in the morning :)
Ruth, I haven't answered directly as I don't know the rules myself (but as Susie says, the folk at CUK do know them!), but from what I've read on this forum I think 'anyone' can be a person's carer, and therefore be elgible for Carers Allowance if they do the required number of hours of care (again, CUK will know - may already be on the Info pages here!).

In general, though, DO be horribly aware that the social workers, professional etc, who administer the benefits system are very, very, VERY short of money right now - and therefore if they can, indeed, get someone to care for free (oh yeah!), then they will most DEFINITELY prefer that!

If, as I hope, you have been misinformed, you won't be the first person - lots of tales here of the officials' getting it wrong' - either through ignorance ....or deliberately???????????????????

The absolutely bottom line to remember about care, though, is that NO ONE has ANY legal obligation to care for anyone else they are not a guardian to (eg, a parent of a young child etc etc). So, if someone does not wish to care (let alone 'for free'!), they don't have to.

Again, there are many tales on this forum of it taking a family carer to threaten to walk away completely to get SS to finally pull their finger out and get the support in place - whether financial or by way of professional carers etc - that is actually needed.

All the best to you - Jenny
A lot depends on your relationship. Are you a long standing couple, or is it purely platonic? It will be up to you to prove that you are not a couple, which might be difficult. Some disability benefits rely on you being all alone, if you are living with someone who is claiming for you, then you would lose the benefit which relies on being alone, because obviously you are not. I'll leave the helpline to give full details!!!
But Carers Allowance is for family members, isn't it? That's surely what has always been said on the forum! The qualification is about the amount of time you spend caring (and if you get other state-income such as an old age pension - or benefits such as ESA as well, maybe?)

What sticks in my gullet is being told 'you should care for free' !!! Oh yeah, right, let's save the state zillions...!
CA is for anyone who cares who meets the criteria, HOWEVER you can't have two income substitute benefits at the same time, and this is where it can get really, really complicated! Even more so if DWP thinks you are living as a couple, not two single people.
jenny lucas wrote:But Carers Allowance is for family members, isn't it? That's surely what has always been said on the forum! The qualification is about the amount of time you spend caring (and if you get other state-income such as an old age pension - or benefits such as ESA as well, maybe?)

Incorrect assumption Jenny ! To claim Carers Allowance you do not have to be related to the person you are caring for. Have a read of the CUK fact sheet on CA

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... wance#sec1
Sorry, I phrased that wrongly - what I was responding to was the DWP implying that IF you were in a relationship with someone you couldn't be their 'official carer' and so you were not eligible for Carers Allowance - as if, yes, 'family members' (or in a relationship!) should 'care for free!'

I still can't get over that...just makes me enraged!
I think what we have to bear in mind is that we have second and third hand information going on here! I find it best JEnny not to get "outraged" and stressed because we don't actually have the full picture do we? Easy to get outraged but usually best all round if we don't make assumptions and don't rely on part of a story.

Not getting at you...far from it. I see it often here, we all fall into the trap but it doesn't actually help anything at all.

Hope things are becoming clearer to the OP now she is seeking advice.