[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
virtually practical. - Carers UK Forum

virtually practical.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
with tele-conferencing and the like,the need to physically attend a conference seems less vital,carers cannot afford time or the money to travel miles with accomadation costs etc,well some carers cant do it,yet,if only those near the venues or the more affluent carers can get to these things,many carers who cant do so just get left out not heard etc,virtual conferences seem a way forward.

with cash strapped carers and cash strapped charities it seems a saving all round.
with tele-conferencing and the like,the need to physically attend a conference seems less vital,carers cannot afford time or the money to travel miles with accomadation costs etc,well some carers cant do it,yet,if only those near the venues or the more affluent carers can get to these things,many carers who cant do so just get left out not heard etc,virtual conferences seem a way forward.

with cash strapped carers and cash strapped charities it seems a saving all round.
You can telly conference all you like but its a bit like watching football on the TV, it doesnt have the same atmosphere. I dont mind it for an hour, but i wouldnt want to spend a whole day glued to my PC monitor. Boring.
Wherever possible I believe they could be run side by side. Having participated in the chat room when Carers world radio covered the International conference I can see there is a great potential there to progress.
I have only attended one CUK AGM ( Matt has barred me from a 2nd Image Image ), but many local events for carers. There is definitely a need for them. Gives people the chance to air their concerns and last year you could feel the increasing anger in the room at the AGM. It was same at a local event recently.
I must admit any sort of carer's conference would be my idea of boredom!
i agree with rosemary on this i too spent time listen and tasking part on carers world radio and questions we had were put to the people. it was also cheaper as no costs involved for me and i was here if my caree need me..
I must admit any sort of carer's conference would be my idea of boredom!
For those carers struggling with inadquate or nonexistent services I suspect that attending a conference where their views could be heard and go some way towards shaping more responsive and appropriate services, being in a position to attend such a conference would be anything but boring, it might even be empowering.
Parsifal I attendend many of these things when I was Chair of our Parents support Group. One of them had 250 people at Strathclyde Carers Forum. To me they are simply a box ticking exercise so that those that organise them can say they "consulted" and acheive nothing. Believe me I attended very very many of these things over the years. The worst ones were those organised by the Health Board who had these meetings, had us fill in their little forms etc and then did exactly what they wanted anyway.

Eun
Conversely some people find them useful and empowering, I think that it depends on what you expect of them, if you want the impossible you are going to be disappointed, if you are happy with small steps towards meeting a goal you will be satisfied that your input was valuable, I have been involved in the past with setting up a user group which made significant advances in user involvement in influencing the provision of more appropriate services.
I went to these meetings around 15 years ago and there has not even been small steps towards change - people are kidding themselves. The only thing that will cause change to happen is militant action a la France and we don't have the guts for that in this country.

We could not get a lift put in to our local train station until I and other disabled people chained ourselves to the station and informed the press - we got our lift.

I am sick of charities and everyone else "welcoming" whatever the gorvernment of the day wants to shaft us with - its about time we stood up and DEMANDED change rather than all this pussyfooting around.

Eun
I am sick of charities and everyone else "welcoming" whatever the gorvernment of the day wants to shaft us with - its about time we stood up and DEMANDED change rather than all this pussyfooting around.

Eun
I think that you do charities a disservice, your contention is, as has been said before, impossible to substantiate, charities, such as CUK, work hard lobbying government and trying to influence policy on our behalf, but if you want to change the way in which they operate you can always put yourself up for the position of trustee.