[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
care at home - Carers UK Forum

care at home

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
i have just started to look for homecare for 85 year old mum,who cannot get onto commode very safely anymore due to arthritis.the one company i asked for a careplan said they couldnt do anything until mum was safer on the transfers.talked about a sling or track around the room.they will not lift my mum without this equiptment.then a friend told me she had heard that not all care companies have this policy,and as long as there are 2 carers they will lift the person.i am going around in circles , any advice from experience please.regards janeb.
Hi Jane,
has your had Mum had an OT assessment at home? They will be able to advice on equipment to help her with transfers. She might well not need a sling and hoist, there are other aids available.

Different agencies will have different guidelines, but as a rule they will have manual handling protocols in place to protect workers and clients from injuries. It is easier to arrange one person visits than two person, for obvious reasons.

Have you referred your Mum for an assessment with social care?

Melly1
Melly1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:15 pm
Hi Jane,
has your had Mum had an OT assessment at home? They will be able to advice on equipment to help her with transfers. She might well not need a sling and hoist, there are other aids available.

Different agencies will have different guidelines, but as a rule they will have manual handling protocols in place to protect workers and clients from injuries. It is easier to arrange one person visits than two person, for obvious reasons.

Have you referred your Mum for an assessment with social care?

Melly1
hiya melly thanks for your comments,i am still waiting for assessment for mum ,hope we will solve the transfer problems then.jane.
I gather it's a health and safety issue to protect the client and the care workers from strains during lifting and transferring. The LA OT can assess your mum for her mobility and transfer needs. Mum has an electrical sit to stand hoist. There are non electrical models available too.
Hi Jane, My Mum has two carers four times a day, 9.30am, 12.30, 4.30, 8.00pm. We have had the same care agency for 10 months, the times are usually within 20 mins but normally carer will phone if much later. Only gripe I have is because Mum lives with me the agency knows I will help the carers and when we had heavy snow recently I had about 8 missed visits in 4 days then over Christmas a few times only had 1 carer. I would always step in obviously to do what Mum needs and I always change her pad anyway about 6am because she needs it doing. This means I use hoist on my own, which Mum & I do ok. I know carers aren't allowed to use hoist on their own, which is understandable But if Mum was living on her own the agency would have to visit her wouldn't they? . As I also care for 84 year old husband, so this means being pulled in two ways sometimes. Best wishes