[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Caring needs. - Carers UK Forum

Caring needs.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi all I was wondering if anyone can help me with a few questions.

I currently care for my partner who has been dxed with Parkinson's Disease (hes only 37 yo) over the last few months he has greatly progressed and is struggling to get in and out of bed, walking, getting around the house, struggles to get off the toilet etc...

How would I get help with the aids needed for him? And also maybes additional care when needed?

Who can I turn to for help?

We live in the County Durham area if that helps.

Your partner's GP or Consultant is probably best placed to point you in the right direction for support and services in your area.

Alternatively you can request a Needs Assessment for them from Social Services -
http://www.durham.gov.uk/article/5690/A ... and-health

This is also a useful link on what to expect
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... assessment.

You can also self refer to your local Occupational Therapy team with regards to suitable aids.

Parkinsons UK website also has a section for Young Onset Parkinsons that you might find useful
https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/informati ... gI2qfD_BwE
Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum.
Things like raised toilet seats or toilet frames should be available very quickly via either the GP or Social Services, so start the ball rolling by asking both of them. In Hampshire where I live there is a "joint equipment store" which serves the whole county, they serve both the NHS and Social Services, delivered by a van, which has set days a week for certain areas.
Looking a bit further ahead, the time has come for your partner to have a full Needs Assessment from Social Services, and you, a Carers Assessment. If you go to the lines at the top left of the page and click where it says "Quick Links" you can find lots more pages can open. have a good read here.
If the house needs adapting, then you may be entitled to a Disabled Facilities Grant, to make where you live much more user friendly. Long term, it would be better if you moved into a bungalow, before absolutely forced to, as it will be much easier for both of you. Think carefully about the location, if it's near the town and your partner has a mobility scooter, it will be so much easier for him to maintain links with friends etc. I was disabled in a car accident, walked badly with two sticks, didn't really want a scooter but it's so much easier to stop and chat if you are sat in a comfortable chair, albeit on wheels!
Your partner should be entitled to Personal Independence Payment, possibly both care and mobility. Be sure to claim asap, it makes a real difference to benefits. Are either of you able to work?
Carers UK has a wonderful helpline, which can advise on benefits (they made me £50 a week better off!) but also housing, etc. etc. Email them and they will get back to you within a week. The helpline is often engaged.