[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can you tell us about Carer Friendly services in your area? - Carers UK Forum

Can you tell us about Carer Friendly services in your area?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
You may remember for Carers Rights Day 2016 we asked you to help us recognise carer friendly services in your area. Many of our members helped us to highlight the fantastic flexibility of many services that went above and beyond for carers and we're looking to hear your feedback and suggestions for others.

You're the experts in what caring is like where you live so do let us know about the good and great experiences you've had in your area that have helped make your life that little bit easier. It could be the café who makes space when you bring a wheelchair in or perhaps the pharmacy who will spare you a few tablets over the weekend when you can't collect a prescription. However services have helped in your area, we'd love to hear about it.

Please use this thread to share your recent positive experiences from your area and discuss what you think makes a great carer friendly service.

A few things to note before posting...
  • Experiences must be your own and you should be happy for us to quote these in future media

Please be mindful of the details you share- No caree names unless they've agreed this to be shared

Please post stories and experiences only so we can keep the thread focused on the topic
We look forward to reading your stories.
I would like to praise the National Trust for their Carers Scheme, and also the North Somerset Railway, from Bishops Lydeard to Minehead, who have also let me go free, without any fuss. (I could, however, name and shame a lot of visitor attractions who don't!)
The Falkirk and Clackmannanshire carers group have a coffee morning each Wednesday in Falkirk at 10.30. Unfortunately I haven't managed to get there as my husband's carers don't come until about then and I wouldn't be able to get there till 11.30. If he goes back into hospital at any time, I will make the effort to try to get there.
I am in Sheffield and I use a local carer respite service called Holmes Adult carer service, i think it is a fairly new service and was set up to replace the current respite service which the council used to fund. My grandad attends their day centre, they run day centres at different venues in sheffield such a pubs or community rooms and my grandad has really settled well. They also really helped me and have given me loads of advice and emotional support over the last few weeks. It costs £30 a day and seems to be a bit cheaper than the other day centres we were told about.
This is really a wonderful thing that you are doing. I thank you for your service to the community and to careers in general. I am in the career of nursing and activities and I have seen a few things that have been positive regarding the caring for the community. One of the things is actually making room for wheelchairs in restaurants and treating people with disabilities with respect by making everything accessible for them through the ADA (American with disabilities Act).
Just three positive responses in a week from the UK. That should tell you a lot!
Just three positive responses in a week from the UK. That should tell you a lot!
Even with positive legislation for carers and carees alike , the reality is somewhat different.

There again , why was positive legislation needed in the first place in a so called civilised society ?

Rights ? What good are they unless they can be exercised ?

A society can be judged by it's treatment of the weakest and most vunerable.

In that respect , something is seriously wrong with society ?
6 replies and 186 views now. Maybe a lot of people looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, hoping it isn't just someone telling them they must care for longer hours?
There aren't any.

Eun
Shame someone from Trussells cannot comment.

The odd can of beans to a carer pushing his caree in a wheelchair to the local foodback ... the carer looked half starved .... ?

Or a couple of quid on the meter to avoid mild frostbite that night ?