[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can anyone recommend a GOOD respite centre? - Carers UK Forum

Can anyone recommend a GOOD respite centre?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
My OH has been allocated some money for respite, but we're having problems finding somewhere that he's happy about.
He's 66, got spine problems, but can get about in a wheelchair for periods of time, and he wants to be with people he can talk to and mix with.
We live in the North East, but are prepared to travel if necessary.
We've looked at 'Vitalise' , which on paper sounds great - trips out etc. Has anyone used them?

I'd really appreciate any advice.
The R.A.F. ROTHBURY HOUSE tel 01669 620 235

They are mainly for R.A.F. staff or other service personnal but it is posable to stay there even if you were not in services you may have to book some 10 weeks an advance it is not a care home so if you can look after yourselves its ideal they do have days out and of corse its wheel chair friendly its the only place my mother "the old doll" will stay

GEORGE======
Thanks for the reply George.

Unfortunately he can't see to himself. Needs hoisting, showering etc and is mostly 'laid up' although as I said can manage in the wheelchair for small amounts of time, so could, on a good day, enjoy going out for a while.

Has anyone stayed at a 'vitalise' respite?

Christine
Ask your social worker/care manager who handled the finance.They will have others who have qualified for respite care so they may have a list of places other people have used locally or even futher afield if that is what you want.
I can't verify this but I have heard that the Leonard Cheshire respite homes are good, the following link should take you to their respite services:

http://www.lcdisability.org.uk/?lid=484
If either of your are/have been Trade Union Members, it's worthwhile getting in touch with them to ask about Respite Care. Their Welfare Section will usually provide this free of charge to Members, although partners usually have to pay sufficient to cover the cost of food.
"Vitalise" has a very good reputation, coffeeholic. Used to have a different name - The Winged Fellowship - if that helps.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I'll let you know what the one we choose is like.