[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can anyone help with wheelchair ramps - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Can anyone help with wheelchair ramps

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Poppy, anyone can have adaptations: if you are a homeowner the council does it - otherwise it is the landlord's responsibility. Even then, council money can be used for some of it. This comes under (if memory serves) the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act, 1970. And a 5 year wait would also be questionable (at least) under the law.

Still - at least it's done, even though you should not have had to do it.
Hi Carolp,

If you don't get very far with your local Social Services dept, don't give up! I would advise you to contact your MP and or Local Coucnillor or the cabinet member for social services at your local council. I've worked for a local council for over 4 years now and it's always the members' enquiries that get fast tracked. It's all about performance measures and meeting government targets. Failing that, mention key words in your request: Individuals rights, equal rights, find out about the complaints procedure and always write to the Senior Occupational Therapist or their manager. Failing that, go to your local paper!

Also, bear in mind that if you do apply for a grant for any disability alterations (if you live in private sector housing), they will take any capital your Mum has into account. So, she may have to contribute if she has over £20k (I think this is the threshold figure, it might be less). Anyway - it should have those details on the link from Christine.

Good Luck!

CB Image