[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can anyone help with wheelchair ramps - Carers UK Forum

Can anyone help with wheelchair ramps

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Image Hi, I have been caring for my Mum now for the past four and a half years, sadly now Mu is house bound, but only because I can't get her out of the house because I don't have access to wheelchair ramps. I have asked Social Services if I can have a pair on loan, but because of building regulations the answer was no, because of the height of the steps leading out onto the patio. I could if funds allowed purchase a set privately, but sadly funds don't run to the cost of even a second hand pair of ramps.

Is there anyone in the Croydon area that would be prepared to lend me a set of ramps, if only for one day. I have now found out that I can hire a disabled car with an electric rear ramp, but my problem is that I can't get Mum out of the house, so use of the car is a no go!

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated. I just think it is sad that Mum will not ever get the chance to get out of the house independently again, and enjoy the every day things that abled body people take for granted.

Thanks for any help given.

Hi Carol,

Welcome to the forum where hopefully someone will be able to give you some advice.
In the meantime I have googled Croydon Carers and the following link will show you several support groups in your area.It may be worth contacting them to see if anyone locally can assist you.

Theres a few ideas floating round in this head of mine but just now I am so tired I cant seem to do anything with them.I will look at this again tomorrow and hopefully by then have got my head on right.

I am sure someone will be able to help though.

Hi Carol

Welcome to the forum

My Mum also uses a wheelchair to get around outside but fortunately she can manage a few steps with my help so I can get her outside to the car without the chair.

I'm amazed that Social Services can't offer you some help, the only thing I can think of off-hand is if you have a local DIAL UK group, they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who can advise you on what to do next. The forum tends to pick up in the evenings so hopefully other members might be able to come up with some ideas to help get your Mum out and about again.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Take care

Hi Carol

I know someone who had the same problem. Couldn't get out of the house without a ramp but the steps were just not suitable for a portable ramp. Social services paid for the steps at the front of the house to be converted into a platform and provided a portable lift that could be pumped up and down manually and later, a permanent electronic lift. I'm not sure if something like this would work for you but might be a safer option for you and your mum if the steps are too high for a ramp.

I have looked on Croydon Council's website and they provide a service called Staying Put for older or disabled people who need advice and assistance to carry out minor repairs or major adaptations to their home. It says you may be entitled to apply for a grant or other funding to cover the cost. I'll paste the link below, it might be worth contacting them.

http://www.croydon.gov.uk/100007/improv ... stayingput

Hope this helps
Hello Carol

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear of your Mums situation and your right she is entitled to be able to get out and about!

Unfortunately I can't think of anything other than your Mums OT as they are normally the people that would fund the adaptions of this kind.

I did a google and came across the same link as Christine has suggested, so I hope that it helps!

Please keep us informed and hopefully other members will be able to help.

Take care
Maryann x
Hi Carol - I live in your area and have some ramps you can borrow - and no social services wouldn't do us a ramp either we had to have builders round to do one for us - I am afraid that our social services do not class going out or personal hygene a priority, If you pm me I will help out if I can.
Hello Poppy

Welcome to the forum!

What a lovely 1st post and that is so good of you to help Carol out.

Really glad to have you onboard can tell your going to be a brilliant addition to the forum!

Take care
Maryann x
Hi Poppy

Welcome to the forum Image

What a kind gesture for Carol, as usual it's carers who look after their fellow carers.

Look forward to chatting with you soon

Take care

Welcome, Poppy - brilliant!

But I am concerned at what you said about your council: they could be working outside the law in a number of ways if that is their view about ramps and adaptations.
Thanks for your welcomes everyone - much appreciated.

Charles47 - regarding what we were told is my own personal experience, when ss came round after hubby came out of hospital after his stroke we asked about having a ramp installed they said because of the gradiance (I think that's how you spell it) it would be impossible to have a ramp installed and it would also be a five year waiting list. There was no compassion about my hubby being housebound. But the builders we got had no problem at all installing a ramp.

We can't use staying put or get a grant for any adaptations because it is Council property and you have to be a home owner to use staying put. Whether other people are getting any help or not I don't know.

We bought the portable ramps because if we go to visit family they come in handy for getting hubby into their property.