[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Can a care agency refuse to use equipment implemented by OT - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Can a care agency refuse to use equipment implemented by OT

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
The items I have bought are expensive and as the carers broke a walker I anticipated being told we would have to replace ourselves which got me looking around and they can be hundreds of pounds, by accident I stumbled on one RRP at mobility store £189.00 plus vat....£30 on facebook marketplace. So it's always worth shopping around. Wheelchair NHS wouldn't help us either their advice was to not attend hospital appointments where you have to walk any distance...really helpful! I've never seen a catalogue but many do have websites and I've scrolled through those.

Do let me know how you get on, its a learning curve for me so would like to hear how it goes and what the positives and negatives are. I hope it goes really well for you.
Sall the Bibliophile wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 pm
The items I have bought are expensive and as the carers broke a walker I anticipated being told we would have to replace ourselves which got me looking around and they can be hundreds of pounds, by accident I stumbled on one RRP at mobility store £189.00 plus vat....£30 on facebook marketplace. So it's always worth shopping around. Wheelchair NHS wouldn't help us either their advice was to not attend hospital appointments where you have to walk any distance...really helpful! I've never seen a catalogue but many do have websites and I've scrolled through those.

Do let me know how you get on, its a learning curve for me so would like to hear how it goes and what the positives and negatives are. I hope it goes really well for you.
Just seen your reply. It is a new learning curve for me too. No clue regarding questions to ask. This is par for the territory really. My first two learning curves happened when both kids were infants. I was thrown into the deep end. This time around things are slightly easier. I have a faint vague idea of what to expect. Are there any brands you particularly recommend or not? Laurel and Logan are bigger so I feel more able to handle a trip to a store by myself.
https://www.cqc.org.uk/

Make a compliant.

We've had the OT meet the carers to instruct them on how to use a new hoist before, as training was an issue.
sunnydisposition wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm
https://www.cqc.org.uk/

Make a compliant.
I'm too scared to make a complaint whilst we still use the agency. I read on the CQC website they will disclose the name of the person who complains and if they do that whilst we are still using the agency things will get worse. It had been my original plan to block the useless carer and report to CQC then I feared what would happen so as yet haven't.
The OT didn't mention the carers needing training but presumably as it's not a hoist etc it's straightforward wheeling that in theory anyone could manage. I've contacted care direct again and not had a reply, I've tried the social worker...she's on leave and admin won't do anything beyond take messages.

I will contact the OT again and see what happens. The agency are now becoming patronizing, rude and demeaning sending follow up emails just to check I understood the equipment cannot be used. If I hadn't understood they wouldn't have even been told about new equipment let alone asked if they wanted to visit and check it out. I assumed then it was a tick box but it's the demeaning and threatening of it won't be used that has me worried. I am longing to be sarcastic but I know it won't get me anywhere.
Keep those emails and then forward them to the OT. Let them fight it out between them!!
The idea of liability to the patient if they refuse to support the patient to use the SAFETY equipment is a really good point.
Sall the Bibliophile wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:01 am
The OT didn't mention the carers needing training but presumably as it's not a hoist etc it's straightforward wheeling that in theory anyone could manage. I've contacted care direct again and not had a reply, I've tried the social worker...she's on leave and admin won't do anything beyond take messages.

I will contact the OT again and see what happens. The agency are now becoming patronizing, rude and demeaning sending follow up emails just to check I understood the equipment cannot be used. If I hadn't understood they wouldn't have even been told about new equipment let alone asked if they wanted to visit and check it out. I assumed then it was a tick box but it's the demeaning and threatening of it won't be used that has me worried. I am longing to be sarcastic but I know it won't get me anywhere.
Forward the occupational therapist those vile emails every time you get one. Or cc her into the email.
I have a really sinking feeling about this, the chair is huge, like the old fashioned arm chairs and there is very little space for anything else in the bathroom once it's there. I have a feeling the care agency are going to say they can't use it as carers cannot walk around it. In the mean time Nan is still saying they won't let her hold both grab rails when she stands they want to continue before that. I am totally out of ideas the chair was the last hope I had. ;)