[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Call yourself a carer? - Page 7 - Carers UK Forum

Call yourself a carer?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
149 posts
I really do think now Parsifal that your slip is showing.............
oo err, that sounds incredibly rude!!!
Image Image Image
No one on here as far as I know has ever claimed to be a special case. Most just want parity with other carers and to be placed on an equal footing in campaigns etc. Not to be denigrated by others on this forum as unintelligent or whatever because they are not both working in a paid job and caring. Regarding the point of if son is away in respite do I not regard myself as a carer if asked what do I do - I would say its no one elses business what I do and would have no hesitation in telling them so.

Parsifal how do you know "none of us is in the presence of the person for whom we care all of the time". I know of parent s whose children attend the hospice where this is in fact the case (and like us the only break they get is occasional visits to the hospice) so your point does not stand up to scrutiny.

So when you say the level of caring depends very much on the degree of disability the person cared for has are you not actually agreeing with my point and the rest is just semantics? My point being that there are different levels or degrees of caring and all carers are not the same.

Eun
I really do think now Parsifal that your slip is showing.............
oo err, that sounds incredibly rude!!!
Image Image Image
Your obviously all smarter than me, I don't get it Image
On the subject of what to call ourselves, if I am reading this correctly then if someone asked a housewife or a checkout assistant what they were they may both be parents but they would not say "parent", they would say checkout assistant or homemaker.
The childless housewife would not consider her occupation to be wife, ha, ha.
Carer is construed as someone who goes out to care ie careworker.
So if someone asked me what I do I wouldn't say carer anymore than I would say parent, does any of that make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Vicky
As far as I am concerned all carers are carers, all are entitled to use the term if they wish without qualification, i.e full-time, 24/7, part-time, working, student, etc.. A carer who works may well have a far heavier and more difficult caring role than one who does not, attempting to make distinctions based on assumptions rather than facts does no one any favours and makes us look divided when we need to show a united front to government.
As far as I am aware no one on this forum has been denigrated as unintelligent or whatever because they were not both working and caring.
As for parity CUK campaigns for both the working and the non working carer.
Myrtle you don't read Excalibur's posts then? He for one has suggested many times those who do not get support to work and care are not intelligent enough to argue their case with SW etc.

The ones I see CUK campaigning for are CUK. I don't see them campaigning for the likes of me. What of the fact that Ian Duncan Smith has said that the carers groups are in favour of his proposed welfare reforms?

Eun
From what I can recall when the CUK CEO Imelda was on the Jeremy Vine Show about a year or more ago she spoke very briefly and only mentioned working carers..................
Yes I do read Excalibur's posts and I've never seen him state carers who do not access help are unintelligent enough to do so.
If I had, it would have been removed.

Danielle, people who are interviewed answer the questions they are there to be interviewed about. If the article was on working carers, so would the focus be.
From what I can recall when the CUK CEO Imelda was on the Jeremy Vine Show about a year or more ago she spoke very briefly and only mentioned working carers..................
I could not possibly comment on whether your recollection is accurate or not, I do not watch the Jeremy Vine Show, but one appearance on one show hardly provides definitive proof of anything, there is, though, sufficient available evidence to prove that CUK campaigns on behalf of all carers, working and non-working.

I note that you have chosen not to explain the "I really do think now Parsifal that your slip is showing............." comment, perhaps it defies explanation?
The Jeremy Vine show is on the radio...........

If you don't get it it will be useless to explain - sorry got to go
149 posts