[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Call yourself a carer? - Page 15 - Carers UK Forum

Call yourself a carer?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
149 posts
I think the working v full/time carer debate hits a particularly raw nerve right now because it is intimately connected with ideology and in the centre of a huge public debate: a clash between welfare state traditionalists and societal modernists.

Interestingly almost exactly the same type of fierce debate was experienced in the 1960's and 1970's with stay-at-home V working mums.
I don't think we can equate working mothers with working carers. Many carers are past retirement age and many have carees who do not wished to be cared for by strangers. Nowadays it is regarded as the norm to be a working mother and it seems a woman can only gain respect if she is a working mother - stay at home mums are treated as second class citizens. If we have a future where all carers are expected to work, will the full time carer lose even more status?
For years now, when asked what I 'do' I automatically say I'm a carer. I also write carer on forms that ask my occupation and give the DWP's details when asked who my employer is. I treat it as a job and employment in so many ways, even though I know it's not a standard job and the rules aren't the same, but it helps so much when dealing with people who try to categorise me by what I do, and people seem to take it more seriously and respect my role more than if I told them I'm a carer on benefits. I've been writing it on forms for years and nobody has complained so far, even when they hear what wage I get.

But when I first became a carer I would say that I was unemployed and on benefits as a carer. It occurred to me that I don't know much of what other carers think of this, so what do you all say when asked your occupation or career?
Just using the OP to make my point here.

As I checked in to A&E last night the receptionist was taking my details. She got to the bit about about occupation.
'I am a Carer,' I said.
'Are you allergic to anything?'
'Hard work,' I joked.
'Ha,' she said, 'you're in the wrong job.'

So yes I do call myself a carer, and it's one of the few times I can say I'm proud of what I do.
Anything's better than:

"..... and your occupation?"
"I'm a carer."
"And what agency do you work for?"
I don't think we can equate working mothers with working carers. Many carers are past retirement age and many have carees who do not wished to be cared for by strangers. Nowadays it is regarded as the norm to be a working mother and it seems a woman can only gain respect if she is a working mother - stay at home mums are treated as second class citizens. If we have a future where all carers are expected to work, will the full time carer lose even more status?
Yes we can. (and rightly or wrongly, unpaid carers have zero social status ,and I'm not even talking about carers over retirement age anyway) Working carers, like working mums, not only contribute to the economy by working and paying tax, they also help to create employment by employing paid carers. It's called commoditisation. What does this mean, really? Well, a couple of hundred years ago, most people kept hens, and that was all well and good. Then they realised that it was an inefficient use of their time, so they bought eggs from the market, thereby creating lots of jobs and wealth and freeing up their own time.

Same thing is happening with care]http://www.carersuk.org/images/icon_cry.gif[/img] Image Image Image Image Image
Where did i go wrong then?
I went to work, i Cared, I raised kids AND i kept hens, bred goats and ducks and rabbits.
Now Thats what i call ambitious.
Or is is there another word for it?
Yeah, there is. "marginalised". Until somebody really starts to move the goalposts, that is, in which case you become a hero. Dont get me wrong, I loved my hens too, shame they couldnt pay their way and ended up in a korma.

I didnt make the economic rules, and I don't agree with the system either. I agree there is a better way, and it is probably Green-ish. You are the voters, so over to you.
Carers are marginalised no matter whether they work or not.

As workers their caring status is ignored and invisible. As carers their views are ignored - much of the time. I've even had GPs and social workers approach us for help because they couldn't get help as carers!
The economics are quite simple,
Joe Bloggs, working, pays tax of 1782 pounds a year.
Edith Bloggs, part time worker, carer, pays tax of 700 pounds a year.
So they have status because they contribute to the economy in real terms, they have tax papers to prove it.

Now take Flower Blossom Bloggs, Fulltime carer, recieves CA, and income support, actual physical money to exchequer ZILCH, 0, nothing, money saved, nobody cares because there are no payslips, no tax returns nothing to show the thousands the exchequer keeps because of it.
Now should F B Bloggs give up caring and go to work, she suddenley has status, and the tax papers to prove it, also so do some unemployed people who suddenley get jobs as paid carers, so they have status now to.
The fact that it now costs everyone more in tax matters not, because the jobless total has now gone down by 3, and nobody really takes any notice of what the goverment actually pays out. Also nobody cares about the so called billions saved by carers, because it is not physical, it has no tax papers or status, it is just a figure banded about by the lazy non working stay at home telly watching carers, oops, footies starting, better turn the telly over, SIMPLES, Image Image Image
Please change last post colour to greenish tinge to help fit differant partys etc. Image
149 posts