[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Call yourself a carer? - Page 8 - Carers UK Forum

Call yourself a carer?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
149 posts
What of the fact that Ian Duncan Smith has said that the carers groups are in favour of his proposed welfare reforms?
Eun
Hi Eun,

Are you referring to the DWP hearing from wednesday as there was some confusion regarding IDS words. He said
When we asked the carers’ groups about this, there was a little bit of a split view on it
Full transcript here he was replying to Q 121

CUK and PRTC were contacted today asking for clarification.

this link is to CUKs response. I have an email from PRTC but no link as yet. Will blog it all later and send you the link.
http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaign ... rsalCredit

Would welcome your thoughts on the Universal Credit thread if you did watch the hearing

x x
If you don't get it it will be useless to explain - sorry got to go
I think Mrs Trellis has a sister Image . Seriously! Image Image Image
I think we are all, (very amusingly, true) straying from the point here.
I do have a job, and when my caring responsibilities permit, I carry out research for the government on randomly chosen households. Today, I was working, as Mrs Scally was providing back-up.

My second interview of the day was with a lady in her mid forties, with four children, two still at home: a 16 year old lad on a government work placement scheme, and a 14 year old girl at school. They have a modest but tidy council house in an average but fairly safe estate.

Mum has a very severe (crippling) arthritic condition and also suffers from a bi-polar disorder. She used to work with deaf people as a counsellor/supporter, but is now too ill to work. Her husband works away much of the time on building contracts as a labourer: they arent well off.

Her primary carer is her fourteen year old daughter, who was present throughout.

The daughter attends school every day, and after school looks after her mum from 4pm - 10pm. Mum gets a fortnightly visit from the CPN, but no other support. She walks with great difficulty, and has a Mobility car, higher rate DLA and Mobility.

Now, is anyone here saying that the lassie isn't a real carer because she is only part time, and isnt entitled to Carers Allowance? Or that they are more important than her, or deserve some kind of special case?

There but for fortune .. and by the way, I have rarely met a bonnier, calmer, and more impressive young person in my life. I just hope she makes it through: because my oath she deserves to.
I would say that is child abuse and she should not be a carer - she is being used to save social services money - it is appalling that should be so.

Should you really be talkng about people you go into as part of your job on here anyway - are you not supposed to keep that info confidential?
If you don't get it it will be useless to explain - sorry got to go
I think Mrs Trellis has a sister Image . Seriously! Image Image Image
I'll start with Chancery Lane Image Image
Mornington Crescent!
Regarding the point of if son is away in respite do I not regard myself as a carer if asked what do I do - I would say its no one elses business what I do and would have no hesitation in telling them so.
That is exactly what I would say if someone suggested i wasn't a 'carer'. No one has the right to dictate who is or isn't a carer, similarly, no one has the right to judge each other's caring responsibilities.
Mornington Crescent!
No way, you're boxed, you cannt get there without going by COCKfosters Image
I would say that is child abuse and she should not be a carer - she is being used to save social services money - it is appalling that should be so.

Should you really be talkng about people you go into as part of your job on here anyway - are you not supposed to keep that info confidential?
Well, thats a nice point, Eun, but as I have not revealed any information that could possibly identify the person/persons involved, then , no. It's fine.

However I do think that carers should be a little more careful here about revealing their carees situation, I know its tricky territory, but some folk here are a bit indiscreet and venture past my own comfort zone. We need to tighten up a bit, IHMO. Names and places should be changed to protect the innocent.

Well, thats a nice point, Eun, but as I have not revealed any information that could possibly identify the person/persons involved, then , no. It's fine.

However I do think that carers should be a little more careful here about revealing their carees situation, I know its tricky territory, but some folk here are a bit indiscreet and venture past my own comfort zone. We need to tighten up a bit, IHMO. Names and places should be changed to protect the innocent.
Frankly I get really annoyed at judgements that state "it's child abuse" and "children shouldn't be allowed..." Most young carers provide care because they want to. If Excalibur had asked, this young carer would almost certainly have said so. They no more want social services involved than anyone else does. The hard part is getting them to accept help sometimes. And they do need and deserve help. However, they do have the right not to accept it, and some social workers don't offer it in the first place - which is entirely wrong. And with the coming cuts, fewer young carers will receive help because their parents won't qualify under the new eligibility criteria. It will certainly happen in my area. And that is wrong, and in my view an abuse.

On the confidentiality point, Excalibur is correct. You may remember that I posted a reminder about keeping things a little more confidential on the forum.
149 posts