[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Call yourself a carer? - Page 6 - Carers UK Forum

Call yourself a carer?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
149 posts
Sorry but I think you are still missing the point......................nobody is less deserving and why should you think that I would want to offend or demean other carers when I have clearly stated that it is not the case. I am pointing out how the working world defines carers and if you are going to paid employment you are not a full-time carer because you are not with the caree 95% of the time. You are a carer but you are also defined as whatever other job you are doing. Got to go now........
I think the problem here is that the whole argument of who is and is not a carer gets mixed up into any kind of discussion around the subject. Because carers are - as a whole - largely ignored and undersupported, misperceptions arise: people feel that it's only them who are ignored, or if they are in a discrete grouping (by condition), it's that group or another that is ignored, etc.

I have the privilege of working with carers across a wide range of caring situations, conditions and financial/working circumstances and can tell you: they are pretty much ALL ignored by politicians and the statutory services. There are few if any distinctions. And every one of them thinks that another carer/subtype of carer has the greener grass: "It's easier for the physically disabled/learning disabled/mentally ill/older people"

Fact is that - on the whole - it isn't. I don't know any carer who has it easy. The only real difference between carers is one of attitude: and that's down to individual personality as much as to personal circumstances.

I'm no part-timer. And I'm on call 24/7, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. and to be honest, I'm knackered. But I cannot afford to be out of work. That's the stark truth. Being out of work put me into huge debt which I'm gradually getting down, although to get back into work actually increased our debts massively in any case. It was not an easy option - but it was the right one for us a t the time. And a s long as I remain relatively fit (despite the dodgy back, diabetes, and enough stress to kill an elephant), I'll keep at it.
Sorry but I think you are still missing the point......................nobody is less deserving and why should you think that I would want to offend or demean other carers when I have clearly stated that it is not the case. I am pointing out how the working world defines carers and if you are going to paid employment you are not a full-time carer because you are not with the caree 95% of the time. You are a carer but you are also defined as whatever other job you are doing. Got to go now........
Perhaps, Danielle, you can show us where being a carer is defined as spending 95% of one's time with one's caree. There are two accepted definitions of a carer, one is the definition used by the DWP, i.e. that the person provides at least 35 hours per week for someone in receipt of AA or the middle or higher rate care component of DLA and the other used by government is that someone provides "regular and substantial" care.
If your life is in any way restricted because someone you are close to has a disability, you are by definition a carer. If you care for more than 35 hours a week, then you may be able to claim carers benefit. The rest is mere semantics. There are no medals, no long service awards, no pecking order, no chiefs, no indians, no gilded clock to put on the mantlepiece when you retire. Sorry. I know that might come as a shock to some folk.
Sure, you can also be lots of other things if you want to and can either spare the time or are smart or lucky enough to find someone else to share the job with, paid or unpaid. A mountaineer, a plumber, a lover, a dreamer, a nurse, a poet, a parent, a scrabble-genius, anything you want to be. I know carers who are all these things and more: you dont have to look far to find them on this board. Most of us dont choose to be carers, and its just something we do, a chore like the ironing, but always a labour of love: not something that defines us for all time. So what?
My caree was at school and now is at college most days ... I am far too young to spend my spare time footling around with the laundry: in my free time I go out, and I work and if I do well I can make enough commission to buy nice stuff for my family or to go ski-ing. Seems logical to me .... Image
Returning to the original topic...

Because I have a job, I can put my work title on applications, etc. But first and foremost I'm a carer. I've been a carer for longer than any employment I've ever had, and I will be a carer long after I've finished work. Or I will be cared for, depending on the state of my tattered health.
There are different levels of caring why do people seem unable to accept that?

Eun
I do not accept the need for carers to justify their level of caring, we are all carers and that is that. If we split it up into different levels it could lead on to someone saying "oh look at you, you've got it so easy, you only care for someone for 40 hours a week...." It just gets pathetic and immature then.
Surely that is what we already have in a slightly different form, i.e. my caring situation is harder than yours because... Further to Excalibur's mention of awards I would like to suggest the CUK Message Board Sackcloth and Ashes Award, awarded to the person who most consistently insists that they and people like them are a special case, you can pm your nominations to me Image Image Image Image.
I really do think now Parsifal that your slip is showing.............
As I do not actually own a slip Image perhaps you would like to elucidate?
oo err, that sounds incredibly rude!!!
149 posts