[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Call yourself a carer? - Carers UK Forum

Call yourself a carer?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
149 posts
For years now, when asked what I 'do' I automatically say I'm a carer. I also write carer on forms that ask my occupation and give the DWP's details when asked who my employer is. I treat it as a job and employment in so many ways, even though I know it's not a standard job and the rules aren't the same, but it helps so much when dealing with people who try to categorise me by what I do, and people seem to take it more seriously and respect my role more than if I told them I'm a carer on benefits. I've been writing it on forms for years and nobody has complained so far, even when they hear what wage I get.

But when I first became a carer I would say that I was unemployed and on benefits as a carer. It occurred to me that I don't know much of what other carers think of this, so what do you all say when asked your occupation or career?
For years now, when asked what I 'do' I automatically say I'm a carer. I also write carer on forms that ask my occupation and give the DWP's details when asked who my employer is. I treat it as a job and employment in so many ways, even though I know it's not a standard job and the rules aren't the same, but it helps so much when dealing with people who try to categorise me by what I do, and people seem to take it more seriously and respect my role more than if I told them I'm a carer on benefits. I've been writing it on forms for years and nobody has complained so far, even when they hear what wage I get.

But when I first became a carer I would say that I was unemployed and on benefits as a carer. It occurred to me that I don't know much of what other carers think of this, so what do you all say when asked your occupation or career?

When I was at the hospital & the midwife asked me what my job was & wen I said a carer she then said of CA & I said no I look after my mum it left me feeling so mad so to her im unemployed ???
i say i a carer
they then look at me and go-- ooo not with carewatch they killed who ever (seriously my friend who works for them is called the kim reaper!) i reply no, i care for my daughter (que sympathetic head on one side look from ignoramous personage)
i dont care wot they think , if they think i benefit scrounger or wot ever, matt works , i would work if i didnt have an amy and a baby lol
it is o.k to say carer but many firms or forms won't accept it i usually have to put househusband or homemaker or more annoyingly unemployed on insurance forms etc
i tick "other" if there isnt a gap for carer
There are times when I can't tick the employed box (like when I'm speaking to the DWP! Or other times when it might really come back and bite me in the rump) but I'm surprised at how few people have commented on it when I tell them that I'm a full time employed carer earning around £2500 a year! Our approach to forms often falls down to "If there's no appropriate box, draw one in!" It usually does the trick.
What a very interesting thread this is.Yes,got me thinking.I dont really have a settled view.
In my own case,as I both work and am a Carer,when asked to define myself,declare both,as valid descriptions.

BUT,as in Feb,im being made redundant and am presently job seeking,and wanting no obstacle to be in my way re-potential employment,and,I feel the Equality act is no certainty of getting true equall treatment with a non-carer job hunter,I might not mention,or downplay the carer role on the app forms,CV etc.

Its not an easy one.
I tick the carer box...if there is one...if there isn't I make one and tick it.
Me too Karen.
Im really following this one very keenly.Its a really interesting one.Being out,yes open,out of the closet as a carer,out-there,up-front,thats a cracking theme.
149 posts