Call to replace carer's allowance

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Just found this on BBC news

The carers allowance is too complex and should be replaced with a single benefit for people unable to work for any reason, a think tank says.

The allowance is designed to help those caring for relatives for more than 35 hours a week,

But the Institute for Public Policy Research says it can be hard to claim, with 43% of those entitled to it - some 350,000 people - not receiving it.

The government said it was committed to helping carers.

The report proposed a new single benefit would replace carer's allowance, income support, jobseeker's allowance, and employment and support allowance.

'Not fit'

Claimants would have to fulfil certain conditions negotiated with their personal adviser.

In return they would be asked about their needs and motivation to work in the future and be offered personalised support.

Carer's allowance is paid at £48 a week - lower than benefits for other people who are out of work.

The IPPR research found some 30% of jobless people with caring responsibilities were in relative poverty, as were 7% of those who combined care with employment.

Kate Stanley, IPPR's head of social policy, said: "Carer's allowance is not fit for modern families or a modern economy.

"If the government is to meet its target for full employment and people's aspirations for caring for older and disabled people within families, carer's allowance needs to go."

The government said it was committed to helping carers and was reviewing how they were supported.

A Department for Work and Pensions spokeswoman said: "We welcome this report as a useful contribution to the review but we are not persuaded that it is necessarily the right way to go.

"Our next step will to be consider all the contributions to the debate."
Hi Kev.

The Institute for Public Policy Research is not renowned for reflecting government opinion, fortunately - if their current proposals are anything to go by. Personally I found it marginally encouraging that the DWP - hardly the friendliest organisations we carers have to deal with - stated: "we are not persuaded that it is necessarily the right way to go."
Charles said:
"we are not persuaded that it is necessarily the right way to go."
Yes I noted that bit too so doesn't sound like a done deal...yet anyways!

marie x
Hi Marie - true, it's not an unequivocal statement, but it's about as firm as you can get this side of an anticipated announcement.

It's worse than waiting for Christmas...(speaking for what it was like as a 5 year old of course, which I can vividly remember...sort of)...
worse than waiting for Christmas.
Nothing is worse than waiting for Christmas....can't wait to get it over with! Image
Seriously though, in this case it may be Christmas 2017 before anything much happens - didn't someone say that we would have to wait 10 years??
There is nothing sacred about Carers Allowance....the point is what should it be replaced by?
It's all this if's and but's that bother me!
In my experience changes involving the DWP, cost a lot of money to implement and are rarely beneficial. Image

I hope I'm wrong and things change for the better, let's face it's long overdue isn'i it! Image

marie x
the whole point of the institute is to save governments money not to spend it if we go down the route of A ONE BENEFIT SYSTEM IT WILL BE MEANS TESTED and as ive said for months pensioners with private pensions or savings even tierd up within their home will get nowt
people like me under pensionable age but with a small private pension will get nowt i cant get any benefits at all because of my private pension at this moment in time .
the very poorest of carers will not benefit at all as they will not see an increase in benefits to reflect savings from those who lose out.

REMEMBER WHAT WAS SAID WITHIN CARERS UK STATEMENTS WE MAY HAVE WINNERS AND LOSERS WHAT A WAY TO GO ON SUCH A STUPID STATEMENT THE LEAST WE SHOULD ACCEPT IS THAT SOME CARERS MAY STAY ON SAME BENEFITS BUT OTHERS MAY GET MORE NOT ONE CARER SHOULD LOSE OUT .

I DONT HAVE MUCH FAITH IN CARERS UK FIGHTING FOR ME.

GEORGE
people like me under pensionable age but with a small private pension will get nowt
Fair point George, I'm actually in the same boat, albeit I am also self-employed p/t. I'd rather the carers allowance was increased to a decency threshold and prioritised for people in heavy-end caring responsibilities though. As the moment it's a flat rate. In Finland for example:
* The law ensures a minimum caregiver allowance of EUR 310. (around £240, approx same as here)
* Caregivers in heavy caring situations will receive a minimum of EUR 620 a month. (taxable)
* Time off for the carer: at least 3 days / month (that would be nice!)
i hate to put figures on things but i would like to take out some kind of insurance for extra pension but cant do it at the moment but if the allowance even went up by £20 per week i would be able to plan for future.
my problem is the old doll will not have "strangers" looking after her so even if she got extra cash for her to spend dont think she would use it she wont even have grandaughter round to help unless its an emergency .
at the moment every penny in go`s straight out so at best we stand still mind you with the old dolls pensions we do have a good standard of living but she is paying for me to look after her and i think the state should be doing it .
george
hang on another thought the i.p.p.r. report dont they know that the government have a review in place with carers uk and others makes you wonder what is going on if they do know of review why should they try and influence review from outside and if they are part of review what right have thay got to voice opinions outside of committee.

or is it just me once again reading to much into a simple statement .

george