[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
dodgy plumbers/gas engineers - Carers UK Forum

dodgy plumbers/gas engineers

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Just wanted to warn others, Due to my muminlaws detriating(sorry cant spell) health we needed extra radiators put in to keep the ground floor warm at all times our open shower room only had an electric heater and the hall didnt have a heater which was fine in the beginning (but we had to undress her in the bedroom and wheel hr through the hall to wet room in her chair with just a towel)so we looked into extra radiators and found our boiler wasnt big enough, I rang our Carers centre up to see if they were any schemes we could have it done under and we were told as the system worked and was just inadequate then there wasn't any help available. Therefore i contacted the plumber/gas engineer that done work for the building company that built our extension and asked if he could do this work.
He assured us he could and gave us a quote and told us we were to get a top of the range system and two additional radiators in.
Unhappy with the finish of the work pipes wereuntidy ect I had somone else out when we had a problem in the bathroom on looking at the system he wasnt happy to shorten the story it turns out The boiler fitter isnt registered and where left with a system that may yet need replacing. Were devasted we can barely afford to keep the housse going never mind having to redo work. Apart from muminlaw i have two children with disabilites and also have health issues too so only my husband is working.
So PLEASE CHECK ANYONE YOU HAVE DO WORK dont do the same as us x
British Gas did our annual survey the other week, and said that we needed to have our radiators cleaned, as they were cold at the bottom.They gave us a written quote of £700. I was angry, as we pay each month for insurance and thought that would cover it(it has in the past). Anyway, the Gas man had forgotten to turn the heating off, so when I got warm within half an hour of him leaving, I felt the radiators, and all bar two were boiling hot. We have now queries this. We cannot afford £700, and if it is not needed, then why pay,but we do need to ensure that British Gas cannot then say it is our own fault if we have a breakdown in the system.
Just getting by from week to week in difficult at present, and any extras as you needed Welshie, just knock all the bills out of order,don't they?
Welshie - am in a real rush today so apologies if I read this wrong but are we talking about this being gas work?

If it is and he's not registered with Gas Safe (used to be Corgi) then go here

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about/ ... _card.aspx

you can report him online because you MUST be registed to work with gas for obvious reasons. All the contact numbers are there or you can do it on line.

See what they say first.
penny we have already checked hi id and his name they dont exsist so we now know he wasnt registered there not open over the weekend so waiting to monday where going to ring them and see what they recommend we do next x
Lazydaisy it is such a worry knowing where the moneys coming from isnt it, i'd enquire with british gas that you have got to pay and maybe get someone independent if your insure that the job actually needs doing. We looked independently as the British gas are soooo expensive but check there qualified for the work 1st x
British Gas did our annual survey the other week, and said that we needed to have our radiators cleaned, as they were cold at the bottom.They gave us a written quote of £700. I was angry, as we pay each month for insurance and thought that would cover it(it has in the past). Anyway, the Gas man had forgotten to turn the heating off, so when I got warm within half an hour of him leaving, I felt the radiators, and all bar two were boiling hot. We have now queries this. We cannot afford £700, and if it is not needed, then why pay,but we do need to ensure that British Gas cannot then say it is our own fault if we have a breakdown in the system.
Just getting by from week to week in difficult at present, and any extras as you needed Welshie, just knock all the bills out of order,don't they?
Jane - if your rads are cold at the bottom they usually just need 'bleeding' (air in the pipes). We had our system 'cleaned' out one time and it led to all sorts of problems as the stuff they use dissolves all the limescale and in doing so led to little leaks from some of the radiators (the scale was holding the system together Image Image )
Airs always at the top of a rad. If it's cold at the bottom, it's usually full of black sludge (graphite). It's true it can cause probs if you flush it out of an old system, but better than having cold rads. Leaks can usually be fixed unless it's a hole in a radiator.
Our gas fired central heating is very effective, except in the bathroom (an add on "cold zone") which is quite a distance from the last radiator in the hall. It needs bled every three or four days in the winter, so we keep the key for it on a hook outside the bathroom door.

I think they are just looking for a licence to print money.

Take care
Meg