Blue Badge Information Please

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi all
My husband has been looking into the possibility of applying for a blue badge for when we are taking my mum out. She is getting increasingly frail and walking is slow and meandering. Mum is profoundly deaf and suffering from vascular dementia but my husband is having a problem finding out any information which would indicate whether we are eligible for this type of help. I don't drive so this isn't something I have any experience of.
Thanking you in advance
Tracy
Hi Tracy
I see you are living in Northampton. If you contact them I'm sure they will guide you. Maybe try phoning and emailing.
Sorry I dont have any other advice except if you Google Northampton city Council and go to the A to Z section. You will find eligibility details
Hope it works out for you
Pet66
Hi Pet,
Thank you, I will get on the phone Monday and check online now.
Tracy
Hi Tracy,

Just seen your post and wondered if you had any luck with your application? I am happy to offer general advice on here as I used to be a Blue Badge assessor and am a qualified occupational therapist. I can also offer help with the whole application process if you wanted to contact me.

Nicola

(edited by Moderators to remove commercial link)
If it's any help, I found that when I took MIL to National Trust properties, they always let me park in a disabled bay, even without a blue badge, once they'd seen how frail MIL was, and I'd got her wheelchair out of the boot! Not sure about other commercial places of course - I doubt they'd be as accommodating.
3 groups are guaranteed the blue badge the blind , war disabled pensioners with the war pensioners mobility supplement , and those with the correct level of a mobility benefit .. others with a disability can apply via their G.P. and council in Newcastle they are refusing quite a few people now ...mam is war disabled therefore no problem
I recently obtained a blue badge for my Dad. I just filled the on-line form in. After waiting a while due to back log I emailed again to hurry things along, one more letter to Dad from them, another phone call to me and we got the assessment, passed that and about 6 weeks later badge arrived.

No doubt different in each location, but my own experience was not so bad.
[quote="Nicola_160912"]Hi Tracy,

Just seen your post and wondered if you had any luck with your application? I am happy to offer general advice on here as I used to be a Blue Badge assessor and am a qualified occupational therapist. I can also offer help with the whole application process if you wanted to contact me.

Nicola

Hi Nicola_160912 - my husband (has MS and walks with difficulty) has just been refused a blue badge because he can walk too far. I don't think it takes into account how difficult it is for him to walk but he will push himself to walk short distances. Its a real blow. He cant go shopping without me any more as he cant carry and walk & he didn't even get to the assessment stage. Any advise? Thanks
You can appeal the refusal to the council.
As you describe your husband, it looks as if an appeal should succeed.