[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Flexible Respite Project - Carers UK Forum

Flexible Respite Project

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I imagine this varies depending on what area you live in.

After having to cope for 3 yrs without a break i've looked into this and it seems to be criteria based thing which doesn't actually help the carer get a real break.

A carer is supposed to get 4 wks break a year. I attempted to make the arrangement with my brother and sister that they would take a weeks leave each/year and so at least give me a two week break per year. But they can't manage this or can't manage that....

The flexible respite is supposed to have a find of £500 per case. That doesn't cover putting my mother into a care home for a week so i can go away knowing she is safe. It does provide a fund for 1-3 days break using a care agency who would be charging £10 to £14 per hour. My mother needs someone present from 0800 - 2300 15 hours [2-3 days is as far as the £500 goes].

I'd be grateful if someone could correct me and confirm this. From what i can gather a carer really gets no break at all. I've looked into taking her to a day centre but that costs as well.

We just about make ends meet and so haven't any spare to allow for me to get some time off. Higher electricity costs have left us with less than i thought.

I'm just at the point of going to the stage of writing to my bro and sister and demanding that they either take more responsibility [paying for agency carer] or my health will suffer and then what are we going to do.

How do other folk manage for a break? The same as me!
Has your mother been assessed for respite beaks, my husband was assessed as needing 6 weeks per year, and so we decided on 3 weeks with local council care, and 3 weeks Direct Payments money to spend where we like. Of course the DP money only just funds one week in a private home, but it is a good one.The rest is broken up into short stay breaks.
respite care from our local authority is means tested and ive been told to " pay" £500 per week towards the cost.
the old doll is as you all know a war disabled veteran at 100% she has had in the past 2 weeks respite thats since 1997 i have applied for 1 weeks respite care but this has been turned down -reason being=== respite care is only available if i the full time carer and only carer available is either ILL or in HOSPITAL so there you go i thought the respite care break was to give the carer a rest from the heavy work we do but not from the veterans agency i the carer will have to be ill or in hospital the whole point of respite care is for me NOT TO END UP ILL OR IN HOSPITAL .

the whole system is a cock up and run by nutters ........

Respite care? what in the hell is that? not had that for 26 yrs!!!!!
more and more I thinl I must be one of the luckier ones, as
a. my caree loves to go on respite
and
b. albeit after a lot of fighting, I now get 2 full weeks and one or two long weekends a year.

we have to make a contribution to the cost as it is means tested, but I usually use the money set aside for the home care for that week.
Jesse, exactly W H O says that carers should get 4 weeks break a year?

Is it the law?

How do we take these people to court if we don't get 4 weeks break a year, for breaking the law?
Jesse, exactly W H O says that carers should get 4 weeks break a year?

Is it the law?

How do we take these people to court if we don't get 4 weeks break a year, for breaking the law?
Well i've got the picture now! I was told that when i first became a carer... but theory is very different from practice.

As i said to a local care charity being a carer is like being in prison. You can never go out and never go away.
In the last 33 years the only break I have had is a couple of nights whilst on a course the reat of the time when on holiday I have looked after my wife and when younger my son ( not disabled just a toddler/child/teenager etc at the time) as I do at home.

It tends to hit me about a day or two before we are due to return home that I just don't feel as if I have had a break at all. But when we have discussed respite care my OH has been clearly distressed with the idea and to be franck the last thing I want to do is commit her to some horrible nursing home while I "swan off".

Is there such a thing as a fun intresting place where she would recieve good quality and friendly care? None that I have seen in dealing with elderly relatives fit that description. especially for a young 50 year old.
Tony, take a look at Vitalise.co.uk, my OH goes there for a holiday, not respite - his words.
Its not cheap, but if you have DP, it will usually pay for one week. Its a fun place, especially the Skylarks and Southport ones.
That's news to me too! Image