[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Benefits of having a little moan :) - Carers UK Forum

Benefits of having a little moan :)

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
We went out for a ride on the wonder bike this morning at our local forest, which has a good disabled access route. There are two car parks, one adjacent to the cycle route and one miles away from it. You have to go through parking barriers to enter, and as we drove through I could see that the car park we wanted was shut, which meant we couldn't get to the cycle route. There's nowhere to turn around so we had to drive all the way around the other car park to get back out (it's a huge site and it was really busy) so I was getting more than a little annoyed, we went back through the parking barriers and we were going to head for home but I decided to pop into the site office to have a little grumble about it. It seems it was one of those situations where they're trying to organise the parking better (ie they wanted to fill the big car park up first and because there aren't any marked bays people park badly and use up too much space so they've got parking attendants now telling people where to park) but they haven't got a system in place so that disabled people can park near the disabled access route (!).

Anyway, I went and had a polite grumble about it, the lady went off and reappeared with a park ranger who opened the car park up for us and said as it was likely to be shut at regular intervals over the summer (as they want to fill up the large car park before using that one) we were welcome to just move the cones out of the way and let ourselves in. It was worth bringing it to their attention as it was all sorted out quite quickly but it was funny, ten years ago I felt bad about asking for my son's beans and toast to be served individually in a café as he wouldn't eat them if they touched each other but these days I'm happy to go and ask for a bit of help.

Felt pleased with myself afterwards, we had a nice bike ride and it was so lovely and quiet (as everyone else was over the other side) that we came round a corner and there was a beautiful deer standing right in the middle of the path, she quite calmly gave us a bit of a look over and then strolled off through the forest, was a lovely sight :) My son's getting stronger on the bike and I'm managing to run about half the time now without collapsing, although I don't seem to have lost any weight yet! All in all was a good day :)
Well done you! Just shows you it's worth speaking to people...half the time I think that they just don't think what impact their arrangements have on others. Sounds like you had a great outing and the deer was a special touch. x
Hi MumWhoCares,
Was worth raising the issue.

The really should put up signs saying disabled access only when closing that car park, though, as not everyone will have such confident advocacy skills.

Glad the new bike is benefitting both of you. :)

Melly1
Kate_15071 wrote:Well done you! Just shows you it's worth speaking to people...half the time I think that they just don't think what impact their arrangements have on others. Sounds like you had a great outing and the deer was a special touch. x
Yes I think that's it, Kate, disability is so diverse that I don't think it occurs to people (if they don't have personal knowledge) that there are a million little obstacles that can actually make a journey or activity impossible to manage. The deer was amazing! Didn't have my camera unfortunately but she was so beautiful and we saw another, much younger one in someone's garden on the way home as well. Hopefully heading off there again today so we might be lucky again :)
Melly1 wrote:Hi MumWhoCares,
Was worth raising the issue.

The really should put up signs saying disabled access only when closing that car park, though, as not everyone will have such confident advocacy skills.

Glad the new bike is benefitting both of you. :)

Melly1
Melly, that is a really good idea, I will email them and suggest they do that, thank you :)