[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Meds with 'stupid' instructions, and an awkward patient... - Carers UK Forum

Meds with 'stupid' instructions, and an awkward patient...

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I dunno who, but some doctor prescribed a tablet for my mother that you have to remain as upright as possible for 30 minutes after you've swallowed it. I have no idea why, but that's what it says, the patient can walk around, or sit - as long as they sit up straight - but not to lie down.

I've never been able to give it to my mother because of her Personality Disorder, she assumes everything I say is a lie, or wrong, or she just flat out ignores me, or thinks I'm exagerating. Plus she has no concept of the passage of time and after 3 seconds will insist that she's been standing here for days...

I'm tempted to give it to her and let her suffer the consequences of whatever side effect results from not staying upright, but then she'll tell other people I nearly killed her giving her the wrong tablets, and my family are such dicks they'll believe her...

It probably is alendronic acid which is taken once a week in conjunction with a daily dose of colecalciferol, vitamin D3, to prevent and treat osteoporosis. If it is alendronic acid it should be taken on an empty stomach with a full glass of water at least 30 minutes before eating to ensure absorption, absorption is significantly reduced if taken after food, the need to remain upright is because of the risk of irritation and ulceration of the oesophagus, just sitting in a chair is fine, it is lying down which increases the risk, if your mother took it when she first got up and was sitting in a chair before breakfast it might solve the problem but it is probably worth discussing with your GP.
Definitely sounds like Alendronic Acid (Fosamax) - Mum had them for her osteoporosis.

there is a new formulation which only has to be taken once a month, and I believe there is also a nasal spray version.

I'd suggest having a word with her GP to see if she can't be put on one of the other forumlations, but also to check if she still really needs to take them; Mum's osteoporosis stabilised after she'd been taking them for a few years and as she had trouble remembering to take medication (Alzheimer's) her GP decided to stop them altogether.
I've told the GP over and over again I can't give her this medication (which ye's are right is for preventing osteoporosis) she just won't listen to anything I tell her, or she'll do the exact opposite of what I'm telling her to do...

The chemist told me about the once a month dose version, but again it doesn't make any difference how often she has to take it, she won't believe a word I'm saying, so there's no way I'll be able to get her to sit up straight for 30 minutes...

I've not heard of the nasal spray version, I'll have to make enquiries, but I can see something like that turning into a fight where she's accusing me of trying to poke her eye out, or drown her, or whatever other nonsense she'll come up with!
Hi, perhaps it is worth asking the GP or pharmacist to have a word with her instead/give her a leaflet/write out the instructions for taking this med for her - so that you are just reminding her what THEY said. Worth a try?

Melly1
Or a little reverse psychology? "You need to lie down for this one mum?"
Hi, perhaps it is worth asking the GP or pharmacist to have a word with her instead/give her a leaflet/write out the instructions for taking this med for her - so that you are just reminding her what THEY said. Worth a try?
I have a letter from the doctor to remind her that she has a medical condition that affects her walking and her memory. She tore it up and threw it in the bin.

Or a little reverse psychology? "You need to lie down for this one mum?"
That sort of thing never works with her, she'd lie down and refuse to get up again "because you told me to!"

See, awkward!
Ok, how about talking to the doctor about alternative ways of getting it down? Is there a time of day when she won't lie down and you can get her to take it (if necessary without her knowing)?
Nope, she's either in bed, or slouched on the settee.
This must be hugely difficult for you, I do hope you have some respite at times.