[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Benefit help??? - Carers UK Forum

Benefit help???

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hello,
I am 24, living in Northern Ireland and at home and i am a carer for my mum who has MS. I am unable to claim JSA as i cannot look for work as i care for her from 9am-7pm daily. She receives low rate DLA and high rate motability. According to this i am entitled to neither carers allowance or income support.
Does anyone know anything else i can look into? I won't be able to go to the job centre until the end of the week.
Thank you.
hello and welcome Image sorry, but i cant answer your question but im sure somebody on the forum should be able to help.
When was your mum assessed for DLA? Was it a recent decision? If it wasn't then perhaps your mum could be reassessed?

http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... dvice-line

the Carers UK advice line which is open tomorrow would be a good resource for information regarding benefits.
You will need to check this with either the CUK Adviceline or a welfare rights organisation but I think that you may be able to be treated as a carer in order to claim Income Support if you meet certain criteria independent of the person for whom you care being in receipt of either middle or higher rate DLA care component or either rate of Attendance Allowance. I am pretty sure that this was the case but it may, of course, have changed as there have been numerous Statutory Instruments covering Social Security legislation and it is hard to keep up with them.