[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers life expectancy and annuities? - Carers UK Forum

Carers life expectancy and annuities?

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Just investigating options before setting up a meeting with my IFA, I'm a carer for my wife (severe cognitive issues after Brain Injury). I retired 3 years ago at 57 to become a full time carer. Now, I have a small AVC pension pot maturing (36k) when I'm 60. If I go down the annuity purchase route, my health is reasonable with only minor diagnosed conditions and a couple of past episodes of depression. So, now to the question: Does anyone know of any annuity providers that treat carers favourably? (i.e. give enhancements). I'm sure the statistics will say we often fall into ill health ourselves as a result of the caring role and sometimes even pass away before our cared-for.
Cheers, Dev
An interesting, if depressing, question. As in, depressing that carers might be regarded as 'short lived' owing to the stress of caring....

I know that annuities these days are supposed to be more generous (not hard!) when premature death is likely, but over all they are SUCH rip offs I hate them anyway.

I calculated what rate of interest I'd be getting from my own (unclaimed as yet) pension pot, if I bought an annuity with it, and it was PATHETIC. I'd have had to live to something like 111 to actually 'use up' all my pot.

I regard them as iniquitous, as if we die before we use up the pot, the xxxx just take what's left.