[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The person I care for is moving to a care home. - Carers UK Forum

The person I care for is moving to a care home.

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
I currently look after an elderly friend and am getting carers allowance for this. In a couple of weeks she is moving into a care home as she needs more help. At the moment I am not working but waiting to start my new job, which may not be for some time yet. I am living at home, with my parents, the carers allowance is the only source of income I have, I just wondered if someone could tell me what will happen to my carers allowance when my friend moves to the care home, will I lose it altogether? If so could you tell me of other benefits that would help me until I start my job?

Many thanks,
Charlotte.
Hello Charlotte,

I suggest you contact the Carers UK Adviceline for information - click on the red Help & Advice tab at the top of the page and then follow the Financial Support link for their contact details.

I think (but please don't quote me on this) that your CA might continue for up to 8 weeks, but you must let the Carers Allowance Unit know the situation regarding your friend's move into a Care Home.
I'm just wondering, depending of course on whether CA is stopped 'immediatly' or not, and when your new job actually starts, whether it would be worth your while to sign up with a care agency and do some 'interim' or 'temporary' care work?? Not sure how swift the recruitment process is (eg, presumably you need to have a CRB check etc), but it might 'tide you over'.

Just an extra thought - if the care home your caree is moving to is nearby, maybe they would take you on as a 'temp' perhaps? That might make it easier for your caree to adapt, as well, if you were there as a familiar face??