[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Are there any carers here who do not recieve any benefits... - Page 4 - Carers UK Forum

Are there any carers here who do not recieve any benefits...

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hmmm......have only just come around to reading this thread and am awful confused! (Not a hard thing for me to be really) ...so am just going to write a few words that (to me) seem to fit the thread.
Everyone's experiences are so different - and yet the same. I know, that doesn't make sense!
Rob has said that nobody needs to be a Carer - there is a choice. Yes and even I have made that choice - hence the reason that my Mother has Carers night and day and is now in respite in a Home.
Rob, for instance, is able to choose to work full time, while paying someone to make sure that his son is well and enjoying life. Wouldn't we all, maybe, choose that scenario? The problem being is that some of us are not well enough ourselves to choose that option. So in that case, finances may not be enough to pay for brought in help.
Take my own situation - my partner is retired - small pension. I have no income of my own and even if I was able to go out and get a job - am not capable due to my own health being pretty 'orrible. Plus at a previous time, having my Mother and my son to care for. If I had gone for Carer's Allowance, it would have been taken from my Caree's allowance. It's a sort of viscous circle.
I think.....(am muddle headed) that I just wanted to illustrate that the 'choice' of being a Carer sometimes isn't really a 'choice' at all.
Hope some of this makes sense Image (I am much better at being silly than serious!)
Agree entirely Caring Mind!! Good luck to those who can work and pay for care, or who can afford care even without working, but those fortunate few might remember some of us are not able to do that for many, many different reasons (age, condition of caree, skills, location, financial situation, availability of employment, carer's own health, to name but a few).
Many carers who work rely on social services or NHS Continuing Care to provide care, for them it has nothing to do with income or wealth but is about accessing suitable care to cover for them during the hours when they are at work.
Yes, thanks Parsifal. I do understand that. I was seeing it from the perspective of one who is over the working age and is rather restricted in activity due to caring.
I only work part time, my wife works full time. So our family income probably isn't that far different from the UK average for skilled workers with two incomes. I'm also lucky in that I choose exactly how many hours I work.

Say: (purely as a simplified illustration, I'm not actually in this precise position myself but I'm aiming in that direction) you work p/t for 20 hrs at £10 per hour, and earn £200 a week: deduct roughly £40 income tax and £20 NI from that which takes your take-home pay to £140. Then you pay £40 into a private pension plan (of which £20 is an eligible deduction) and another £20 on registered respite care - so your eligible earnings are now £100 which means you can claim CA, (on which you pay tax) taking your real cash income to £120 pw. So you are only £20 worse off than you were before, you still have £120 in hand, but hey presto, you have £40 in a pension, which the government tops up at basic rate tax, making it £50 saved. That'll come in handy when you retire - at £2500 a year in a decent with profits scheme over say ten years it is well worth having.

Obviously the precise situation will vary according to individual circumstances; I have assumed for the sake of simplicity you pay tax on both earnings and carers allowance at basic rate (20% ) as I do: - you may be in a different position.

And of course you may choose not to save, but to spend the full amount (up to half your earnings) on respite - (and maybe you have to create the free time to go and work) so you could potentially earn say £250, pay £70 tax and NI, spend £80 on respite, and still be quite a few quid better off. This obviously doesn't work if you are a sole carer of a highly dependent individual, but many of us are not in that heavy-end situation, its actually comparatively rare.

It would be really helpful if bought-in respite was tax-deductable: that would be a handy campaign.
PS: (and someone is sure to raise this) Respite costs doesn't have to be only from your earnings, they can actually be paid for from your Caree's AA or DLA - I dont think the DWP treat this any differently as long as you have receipts and as long as it doesnt exceed that magic 50% of earnings figure - and still be allowable. So that potentially means you can spend a lot more than you could afford from your earnings.
I don't know how the DWP treat respite paid from Direct Payments though as a deduction from earnings - I suspect this is a potentially quite tricky area. At the moment you don't have to account separately, just produce a receipt.
Maybe one of the experts here can correct me if any of my basic assumptions are wrong by the way, its complicated, I'm no expert and I am happy to be corrected!