[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Are there any carers here who do not recieve any benefits... - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Are there any carers here who do not recieve any benefits...

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Where has the post I just replied to gone Image Image .
Its a long-standing tradition, don't knock it, quote it! Image Image Image
Image Image Image

And I thought that I must be hallucinating Image Image !
Oh, I forgot to say, as for the retired, well, yes, they are retired, and that's great.
If they choose to go bowling or play golf, that is their choice.
If they choose to try their hand at Break-Dancing, Tea dancing, Bridge or Yoga, again, that is their choice.
If they want to be carers; that's cool and very commendable. We all welcome them into this community.
But nobody says they have to be carers, especially if they are too frail or can't cope with the physical or mental demands.
And that is important.
Caring: It's a choice. Not a chore.
Parsival, thank you for your most welcome information.
I was in the process of expanding and re writing my post with more information for carers but I wont bother now, thanks to excalibur.
x
I was in the process of expanding and re writing my post with more information for carers but I wont bother now, thanks to excalibur.
x
Do you know what Butterfly? I respect all views, and most especially the ones I disagree with, as long as they can be backed up with some kind of evidence. But I can't disagree with views that are withdrawn. Image
x
I think that is rather unfair, this was the third post which you have removed in the past few days and this is not the first time, the others have not reappeared edited or otherwise. Perhaps you should decide whether you really want to post something before submitting because it is pointless responding to a post only to find that it has been removed or later edited out of recognition, the response becomes senseless, people want to help but we all have limited spare time.
It's perfectly reasonable for people to decide to make some changes to their posts if they feel the wording isn't right or doesn't carry the meaning they wanted to get over. I've done it myself more than a few times. But it isn't really fair on others to change the whole post so that it's unrecognisable. For one thing it makes the discussion meaningless at worst, or disjointed at best.

Equally, deleting a post after someone has responded to it does disturb the continuity of the discussion. However, sometimes people do remove posts after some reflection, perhaps because of feeling they have shared too much personal information or too much about the way they feel. This forum can get pretty heavy sometimes: and while it's great that some people feel able to share those feelings and issues, others feel less comfortable with it and we need to respect that too.

Some boards don't allow editing of posts after a strict time limit - for example, 4 hours, although deletion is still possible. We don't have such a limit here. As a result, members are free to delete and edit as they wish, board etiquette aside.

Would it improve the board to set a time limit for post editing (assuming the technology here can offer that option)?
Would it improve the board to set a time limit for post editing (assuming the technology here can offer that option)?
Not really, it is not normally a problem, not that common and, of course, if it is something very personal I think that everyone understands why someone might change their mind. It becomes a problem when someone does it repeatedly and it makes the following replies meaningless, in a case like this I think that the person needs to think about whether they really want to post something in the first place. If you know someone does this, and I am not talking about posts about sensitive matters, do you ignore all their posts or reply if it is something general which might be useful to other carers, for example the PCT carers grants Image ?
Oh, I forgot to say, as for the retired, well, yes, they are retired, and that's great.
If they choose to go bowling or play golf, that is their choice.
If they choose to try their hand at Break-Dancing, Tea dancing, Bridge or Yoga, again, that is their choice.
If they want to be carers; that's cool and very commendable. We all welcome them into this community.
But nobody says they have to be carers, especially if they are too frail or can't cope with the physical or mental demands.
And that is important.
Caring: It's a choice. Not a chore.
So we just make a call asking the S/S to remove the person we are caring for as we are now retirement age? I think not - I would think that most carers carry on caring with or without the C/A - work kills horses as the saying goes. Carers are no exception Map
I do not see that the fact that caring is a choice removes the 'chore' element unless one is very saintly
Its a slogan, not meant to be taken too literally!And you don't have to dump the caree - just get some help.
Still, it should be posted up on my fridge ... just to remind my caree that he is also expected to do some of the jobs that are within his capacity, like filling and emptying the dishwasher.
Seriously though, if you spend all or some of the DLA or AA on buying in a bit of local help, as we do at the moment, then it does make life a lot easier. I hate ironing and cleaning, I would rather pay someone to do it whilst I go out to work, and keep an eye on my caree at the same time. Luckily he doesn't need any intimate care, just looking-out-for really.

I can earn more in an hour in a skilled job requiring computer skills and a car than a local person looking for a bit of domestic work. So its a no-brainer really.