Architect Fees

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Our attempts to have adaptations made to our house to accommodate our grandson downstairs have now reached the stage of having rough plans drawn up by the OT and our local Care and Repair official. Although the plans would mean we lose our downstairs toilet and dining area, we would have a single bedroom downstairs with a wetroom extension.

The costs to us seem to be reasonable, and wouldn't have to be paid until the work is completed, but we have been advised that we need an architect and we will have to pay his fees upfront and reclaim them in the grant application. I am a little concerned as to what this will cost, and I wondered if anyone here has an idea of what we might have to pay for this?

We live in Scotland, so the system may work differently in other parts of the UK.

Any information or advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Sorry about only just coming across this. Going through a very similar situation here. Do you have the assistance of your local Care&Repair team? If not, I thoroughly recommend getting them involved, they have been invaluable to me for my brother's conversion.
The architect's fees can vary wildly Care&Repair found us the cheapest quote locally which ended up costing us just shy of £500. I'm not sure how they expect everyone to stump up that kind of money, but help is available I believe. When you do pay for the work, make sure that you get a proper receipt as you will need to submit it to get your refund. (Still not had ours yet 5 months later!)