Appointee Information

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Does anyone have a link to a full run down of what it means to be an appointee please? Just for some background, Mum has dementia and does not own any property. Has her own bank account and receives pension and attendance allowance. Has small amount of savings. My brother is her main carer and I believe he is an appointee as he liaised with council to claim attendance allowance on her behalf. However he is a bit vague on such issues and I want to get the financial situation straightened out ASAP as it’s worrying me. If he is an appointee does this mean he can go to Mum’s bank and administer accounts - I would like to help him get these things sorted out and present him with the facts. I believe he is an appointee but if he is not, is it too late to do a POA if Mum has dementia - Mum has Lewy body dementia so fluctuates from day to day.
Hi Amanda.

An Appointee ?

Full sp on what it means / does / duites from the Government web site :

https://www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for ... g-benefits

Power of Attorney / mental capacity ... full sp and a whole lot more.

AGE UK factsheet ... in .pdf format .... quite literally , a bible of information :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/a ... lf_fcs.pdf

I trust that the above will fully answer virtually anything on both topics ?
I've been an appointee for three people. Here is my introduction to the subject, no substitute for the official stuff though.

It does NOT mean that your brother can manage mum's existing bank account.

Having been officially approved, ll benefits should be paid into an account in the name of the appointee, and MUST be managed so that the money is used in full for the beneficiary, i.e. mum.

The key issue is that there are DWP requirements about fitness to be an appointee, and if there is any hint of things not being done properly, they will take the appointeeship away from you.

The other key issue is that the appointee is accountable to DWP and if something underhand is being done, there is a penalty of up to SEVEN YEARS in jail!

Hope that helps. Do you think your brother is using the money for his own benefit? If so, ask the DWP to investigate asap.
Thanks for the replies. I absolutely do not think my brother is using mum’s money for his own benefit - more that, as the main carer with many many responsibilities, he is not fully aware if he even is an appointee (made an application with a LA representative for attendance allowance currently used for day centre costs) but I don’t think he knows what it means. My worries are he is muddling through and potentially not understanding his role and therefore risking unforeseen consequences. He’s not someone naturally to look into things too much and with the other pressures on him he has very limited time so I’m able to do more in that regard as I live far away and not involved in the day to day care. .
Why don't you offer to help by doing this for him then?
If you live some distance away, then this sort of job would be perfect for you.
If mum has dementia, then she is exempt from Council Tax - all it needs is an aplication to the council, and it can be backdated to the date of diagnosis. It's a "best kept secret" which I like to share with anyone.
If mum is getting attendance allowance then she may be entitled to additional pension etc. depending on her circumstances.
Dementia / Council Tax ?

CONFIRMED :

https://www.dementiauk.org/you-could-be ... discounts/

You could be missing out on significant council tax discounts.

Many people living with someone with dementia are missing out on a 25% council tax discount worth an average of £400 a year. To highlight this issue we’ve been working with Money Saving Expert on their campaign to raise awareness of the discount, which they could be eligible to if they or their partner has dementia.