[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anyone listen to the Archers??? - Carers UK Forum

Anyone listen to the Archers???

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Strange question but i've been listening to the show recently and have taken to the story of Jack & Peggy. Jack is suffering from Alzheimer's and Peggy is his carer I was just wondering if the show is giving a relatively accurate of what it is like caring for someone with Alzheimer's
I have listened to the Archers from the very first episode when I was in my pram! Image

My daughter's best friend's father has Alzheimers, and I think the story line is pretty accurate. He is now in a home as his wife can no longer cope with him.
I have listened to the Archers from the very first episode when I was in my pram! Image

My daughter's best friend's father has Alzheimers, and I think the story line is pretty accurate. He is now in a home as his wife can no longer cope with him.
Thanks for that,

I was listening to a bit last week and Peggy was trying to get Jack to go to the Day care centre and he didnt want to go and hte taxi driver drove off and then he threw his food across the floor, it was a little bit upsetting.

I'm glad that the writers of the show have made it accurate.
Sadly many Alzheimer's patients can become violent. A friend's elderly husband, an ex-para, became violent and even the staff of the home he was in found him hard to deal with. Mercifully he is now dead, I think death is preferable to the end stages of that disease.
I believe that many Alzheimers sufferers are terrified of everyday things, seeing them from a different point of view. I nursed one man who was convinced he was in a gas chamber in a German Prisoner of War camp, and that the curtain rails round each bed on the ward were gas pipes. We ended up having to get his wife in, after the ambulance, Dr and Police, as he was so traumatised and aggressive.

I nursed another man, who had been a postman, and he spent his time in hospital, walking round the ward, knocking at doors, and calling "postie here".

It is such a terrible disease, for family, as well as the sufferer.
Hi

My uncle who was a black African was the nicest man you could meet when i was a young boy he would take me out for walks with his son my cousin the same age as me my cousin is coffee colored as the old 60's song said.
I was so proud of him in the 1940's there weren't many of my friends if any that had a black uncle.
He was a great man he was physio for his nation's Olympic team and when young, a Boxer but a few years ago he fell to the dreaded Alzheimer's and he was a well known character in his neighborhood when he started to go outside his house giving money to people.
His wife knew how much money was in the house the people he gave it to handed it all back to his wife this happened a few time's there was never a penny short and this was only a few years ago and in London how's that for honesty.
John
Hi

My uncle who was a black African was the nicest man you could meet when i was a young boy he would take me out for walks with his son my cousin the same age as me my cousin is coffee colored as the old 60's song said.
I was so proud of him in the 1940's there weren't many of my friends if any that had a black uncle.
He was a great man he was physio for his nation's Olympic team and when young, a Boxer but a few years ago he fell to the dreaded Alzheimer's and he was a well known character in his neighborhood when he started to go outside his house giving money to people.
His wife knew how much money was in the house the people he gave it to handed it all back to his wife this happened a few time's there was never a penny short and this was only a few years ago and in London how's that for honesty.
John
What a wonderful story. Image
I suppose it's great that tv & radio soaps reflect life as it is.
However, I use The Archers as a switch off from my daily life.
Unfortunately, I now find little respite from that daily life by listening to The Archers (which I do through the night having downloaded a week's episodes at a time onto my MP3 player).
I am afraid it is just too real for me.
L
I look after my Mum who has Vascular Dementia which is 'the same but different' to Alzhiemers and it is really difficult for both of us to live with. My Dad had MS, my Mum has had 20 strokes/TIAs but Dementia is what I find really tough to deal with. It's frightening and frustrating to live with 24/7 and lonely as no-one knows how to handle it, so no-one visits. Unfortunately we cannot have the tv or radio on as the noise aggrivates my Mum and she cannot concentrate to even watch or listen to anything, so I cannot tell you if The Archers are accurate, but from other posts it seems they are. I hope it gives people an insight into our lives.
Bluebird
I look after my Mum who has Vascular Dementia which is 'the same but different' to Alzhiemers and it is really difficult for both of us to live with. My Dad had MS, my Mum has had 20 strokes/TIAs but Dementia is what I find really tough to deal with. It's frightening and frustrating to live with 24/7 and lonely as no-one knows how to handle it, so no-one visits. Unfortunately we cannot have the tv or radio on as the noise aggrivates my Mum and she cannot concentrate to even watch or listen to anything, so I cannot tell you if The Archers are accurate, but from other posts it seems they are. I hope it gives people an insight into our lives.
Bluebird
Poor Bluebird, what an awful situation, do you get any help, and is there respite care available?