[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
any cash left for carers chancellor says= no no no - Carers UK Forum

any cash left for carers chancellor says= no no no

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
The chancellor as we all know handed over to Northern Rock anything upto 100 billion quid now dont get me wrong ive got family & friends who work for N rock and ive even got an account with them and i did not withdraw one single penny.

The chancellor has now pledged 55 billion to the bank of England with if needed a further 55 billion just to protect WHO those who have jobs and need the mortgage protected yet when people make big profits from house sales do they complain ?

The chancellor has also defended his new 10 p tax hike on the lower paid workers and those who like me retired early but still pay tax ive worked my tax rate out and i will pay an extra £50 this year it does not sound like much but as you all know its 1 weeks carers allowance.

Just this last month we have had the department of works and pension informing those on J.S.A. I.B. & those on other disability benefits to WORK for their benefits or lose them yet we see cash flooding out of the state coffers and into who`s hands ?

What concernes me most is the statements made by many ministers that they cant scrap the 10p hike as they need this cash but maybe next budget we will get it back what a load of tosh we as carers sit waiting & waiting & waiting & waiting & well yes waiting for the result of the carers alowance review i just hope not one single carer is depending on the prospect of a pay rise via the carers allowance . The chancellor even stated that the budget was set and could not be changed we therefore can assume that the carers allowance would not be "RAISED" till next year ( joke)

Its obvious to me that the review even if accepted by the government will if it involves more cash for carers will never be implemented.

This is one of the reasons why ive decided to move just to save money but is it right that we as carers should be scrambling around to save a few quid.

CARERS UK should as we used to say on the rugby pitch get your retaliation in first CARERS UK should be talking to the media about how the credit crunch is causing problems for carers as a carer we dont have the cash to survive and iam sure many of us use credit just to survive

COME ON CARERS UK MAKE SOME STATEMENTS THE SILENCE IS DEAFINING

AND DONT SAY YOU ARE NON POLITICAL AS WHEN EVER THE GOVERNMENT DO SOMETHING "GOOD" YOU ALWAYS WELCOME THIS STATEMENT SO WHY NOT SAY YOU DONT WELCOME THIS STATEMENT FROM THE CHANCELLOR???????

GEORGE === NOT A VERY HAPPY BUNNY
I've got to agree with you George - something needs to be done. Most carers work 24/7 and are always 'on call'. When did the Chancellor, or any politician for that matter - work the hours we do for the pitance we recieve.
Don't get me wrong I love my OH and thats why I care for him, and I'm sure that most carers feel the same. NO OFFENCE MENT TO ANYONE Image
George,
You have found your words so well.
We wait and wait and while we do the government must take pleasure in our quietness.
They know we cannot leave the people that we care for. So why can't the charities speak for us.
Surely we can be told something.
Well done George.
Wendy
Hi George

Carers UK constantly argues for more resources from the government for carers. It is then up to the Government to decide where the money comes from. We don't put out media statements/comments on defence spending, or spending money on the Arts or new prisons, so we wouldn't comment on this decision to spend this £55billion on the banks. To do so we risk endangering our political neutrality and our charitable status.

What we can do, and what we do do - is make the case that social care is in crisis and more money needs to be found to pay for it. There ae countless press releases on our news pages that make this point. It is up to politicians, the media and voters/taxpayers to have that discussion about priroties on spending. And of course we can also have that discussion here on the forum!

Matt
Well said George. Sorry Matt but the silence from the Carers' Charities on the dropping of the 10p Tax band is deafening. I understand what you are saying about not commenting on priorities for spending but why not on this particular policy when it will affect many carers. I don't believe that a statement on this could be construed as being politically biased in party terms.
You (the charities) are allowed to speak up for policies that would be good for carers why can you not speak out against policies that affect them adversely. In fact as this is such a political hot potato at the moment it might be a very good time to draw the public's attention to the poverty level income of many carers. (By the way I work part time and care 24/7. My carers allowance is taxed as well as my wage. I will be paying £80 more in tax this year).

Campaign for a Carers Wage and for Real CHOICE for Carers

Belle
Well said George. Sorry Matt but the silence from the Carers' Charities on the dropping of the 10p Tax band is deafening. It will affect many carers i don't beleive that a statement on this would be unduly political.
You're 100% right Belle, the 10p tax issue is a different thing entirely and legitimate for a statement. I was responding to why we said nothing about the decision to give 55 billion to the banks.

We have not been able to issue a statement about the 10p tax rate but just in case there is any doubt here about our position - Carers Uk argues constantly that carers need more income - our real change not short change campaign made this clear so it goes without saying that we do not support any move that leaves the poorest people in our society worse off.

Matt
Sorry Matt I was editing my reply when you replied. I still don't understand why Carers UK "have not been able"to issue a statement on the dropping of the 10p tax band if as you say it is "legitimate for a statement". Frankly Carers UK's "position" on this is pretty irrelevant if it isn't actually prepared to make a statement.
Puzzled
Belle Image

P.S. It shouldn't "go without saying" it needs to be said. And not just on this board!!!
There should be a statement about the 10p tax rate: if it is legitimate for a statement there needs to be one.
I too can't understand why, if commenting on the abolition of the 10p tax rate is a legitimate concern for Carers UK to express on behalf of those of us who will see the tax on our meagre incomes double, CUK hasn't yet made a statement. The announcement was some time ago and it's again a hot topic in the press, surely now is the time to issue a press release condemning the doubling of income tax for those on low incomes who dedicate their lives to caring for family members, including but not exclusive to pensioner carers caught out by the overlapping benefit rule, those who have drawn down their occupational pensions and those trying to juggle employment and caring and already trapped by the earnings rule? I would have thought that this is an ideal opportunity to raise the profile of carers whilst making legitimate comment on the impact of the abolition of the 10 percent rate on carers who are in the main struggling on low incomes.
I would have thought that this is an ideal opportunity to raise the profile of carers whilst making legitimate comment on the impact of the abolition of the 10 percent rate on carers who are in the main struggling on low incomes.
AGE CONCERN AND OTHER CHARITIES MAKE THEIR VOICES HEARD IN THE MEDIA ALL THE TIME - VERY RARELY DO I SEE ANYTHING FROM CARERS UK ON THE TV WHICH IS THE MOST POWERFUL COVERAGE. I HAVE COMPLETELY LOST FAITH IN CARERS UK AS A CAMPAIGNING ORGANISATION, I DO THINK THOUGH THAT CARERS HAVE THEMSELVES TO BLAME. THEY SHOULD NOT RELY ON THIS CHARITY BUT TAKE ORGANISED ACTION THEMSELVES. AS THERE ARE VARIOUS DISPARATE GROUPS AND SOME IN-FIGHTING BETWEEN THEM THIS DOES NOT LOOK PROMISING.