[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Anne McGuire web chat - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Anne McGuire web chat

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
But the whole-frightening point is that the way things are looking all carers will be expected to work full time.
Direct payments for all people needing care-not allowed to employ anybody at the same address- Tunstalls spy in the home equipment-and third rate care-if you can get it at all.
It may seem far fetched but it is all the Government and the charities seem to be talking about- everybody into work.
Nobody gives a toss!
WELL - they had better not try and make me work! Who the hell is going to take my son and daughter both for appointments - tell you what - if they can promise me a job and pay for me to have childcare for after school and during the holidays for all 3 children - AND not reduce my income - which actually it would!!!!! So if I start to go to work - I then lose certain benefits and to add to that they dont pay the full cost of child care - and then would have to pay rent and council tax! Its sheer b*****s that they would expect someone like me - or another carer with a person who depends on them - to have to work.

I will let you in on a secret - I went to the job centre and told them I had been offered a full time job in a shop - which at the time I had, it was minimum wage something like £11'233 - per year - and they said the benefits I get - I would lose my carers allowance lose my income support and my tax credits would be reduced - I would no longer be entitled to full housing benefit or council tax benefit - and guess what!!!!! Do you know how much money I would be losing in total - excluding my housing benefit and council tax benefits??? about £4'000 a year - and if you add my living cost - start paying rent and council tax - I would be paying another £5'800 a year in rent and council tax - then add to that the 30% in childcare fee's and god only knows how much that would cost me - it would leave me with absolutely nothing to live on - and that includes the DLA my daughter gets - the people at the job centre - agreed - they couldnt believe it would actually COST ME to work - I would have no gain whatsoever - we would end up homeless and penniless... what do they expect from single people with children - let alone having a disabled child.

Its enough to drive someone to suicide! sorry - said my piece Im just really annoyed with it all - so much that Im not sleeping!!!!!
I am definitely going to be writing to the papers and give myself as an example just to shut the bl***y government a kick up the a**e!!!! Make them realise what they are doing to Carer's!!!!! By god am I fuming at the moment!!!!
But the whole-frightening point is that the way things are looking all carers will be expected to work full time.
Direct payments for all people needing care-not allowed to employ anybody at the same address- Tunstalls spy in the home equipment-and third rate care-if you can get it at all.
It may seem far fetched but it is all the Government and the charities seem to be talking about- everybody into work.
Nobody gives a toss!
Sorry, Ken, I don't agree. Not that you'd expect otherwise. Image "The charities" is a sweeping statement at best, as well as inaccurate.

I've said my piece about direct payments elsewhere but they can be a useful tool in some cases - but they are not for everyone and all too often they are only used where social workers have run out of ideas. Tunstall and similar are the same - useful in some circumstances but not to be solely relied on.

Some carers want to work but cannot afford to: for them it's a financial decision and it's unreasonable that they cannot work. For others, work is something they do not have the time or the strength to do outside of the hard work of caring. They should not be forced into anything and so far as I can see nobody is saying that they should - but there is a lot of innuendo being drawn from comments that can easily be taken out of context. I understand your frustration - believe me, I get frustrated about a lot of things, not least the difficulties of trying to hold down a job and being a carer. I was - and am - frustrated at the slow pace of change. I am frustrated about the low rate of Carers Allowance. And I am frustrated that instead of uniting against the common enemy of ignorance about carers and their needs we attack anybody we disagree with and make them the enemy instead. No wonder so little changes...
Having cared for an elderly parent fot the last 10 years, I will remove myself from this world if I inflict this on my child. Fighting for rights is just too difficult.
apologies for my rant earlier on - but I feel there is little someone like myself can do to change other people's ignorance - I get called a benefit scrounger and it simply isnt true - I was married and we were not on benefits originally. I never planned for it all to go wrong and I have to agree with you charles on everything you said.

Its sad though that some people really do take it seriously enough to take their life... and you are right - I would love to work - but I realistically cant - both because of the care of my children and because of financial reasons.
Its sad though that some people really do take it seriously enough to take their life...
Those are the situations we should all get angry about, Marion - and fight to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I know we come in for a lot of stick fro some carers for campaigning about carers and work, but it is precisely the situation that Marion has faced that needs changing. Carers who are able to go out to work should not face financial disincentives, or not able to get the alternative care during holidays etc which prevents them holding down a job. its about equality.

As part of our Real change not short change campaign we are campaigning for these barriers to be removed. We are also campaigning for carer benefits to be improved for carers who are unable to work. more about the campaign here http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaigns/Shortchanged
I would work - but only if I was better off financially not worse..... and only if the right care could be arranged during childrens holidays and making up for the short fall of time when I am not there - ie picking up children from school and the time between them finishing school and me finishing work. - And then it has to be someone who can deal with sophie's medical and physical needs too.... honestly if I was offered a job with a good wage and help financially to make up in the short fall I would be happy to work. Even though at the moment I feel it important for me not to work till Sophie gets settled in her next school next september - after that I would hope to be able to work...

at the moment I work in a charity shop for nothing because I cant just sit and do nothing.
IF YOU CANT PAY FOR SOME ONE WHO LIVES AT SAME ADDRESS IT WOULD COST GOVERNMENT BILLIONS PER WEEK THE OLD DOLL NEEDS 24/7 CARE AND IF THEY WERE FUNNY WITH ME RE WAGES FOR CARING I WOULD MOVE TO BROTHERS JUST 200MTS AWAY AND LIVE WITH HIM AND MAKE COUNCIL / SOCIAL SERVICES PAY THROUGH THE NOSE TO CARE FOR THE OLD DOLL MORNING NOON AND NIGHT

WHAT ABOUT CAREE`S WHO DONT WANT STRANGERS LOOKING AFTER THEM THEY HAVE CIVIL RIGHTS

GEORGE
aaaah good point but what about those of us who really have no choice? my children are all dependants on me.... I cant just move away and make someone else pay to look after my disabled son and daughter