[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Angels or Ordinary Mortals - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Angels or Ordinary Mortals

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
i think patient might be better,
and the governemnt like to praise carers up- and promise help so when we moan that we get none so those who r not carers will say- but the government said they will help u!
"Service users" another title that so annoys me Image there is something condesending and derogatory about the sound of it, far less respectful than say customer or client?
I've felt the same. I guess they use it to describe a variety of people, I would just prefer they not use it about me to my face. It's like they expect me to be part of their paperwork.
I don't want to be an angel, martyr, superwoman or any other adjective - just want to be me now and then Image
Susie...I understand your comment so well. When I was caring, I think I lost "me" for quite a while. Any needs, I had were far, far down the list of priorities and I was certainly one of the "lucky" ones because I had Tony there to support me.

Bell x
I have a sneaking suspicion that sometime we guys are more likely to be regarded as domestically incompetent (not without some justification!) and therefore it might be easier for us to get support services in place. What do you think, do you have any evidence that your local services are biased against female carers or just take them for granted?
I have a sneaking suspicion that sometime we guys are more likely to be regarded as domestically incompetent (not without some justification!) and therefore it might be easier for us to get support services in place. What do you think, do you have any evidence that your local services are biased against female carers or just take them for granted?
It wouldn't surprise me if there were a bit of negative discrimination going on regarding the allocation of services.
I was referred to as a "martyr" once by someone at work, it made me feel that I had taken all this on just to make myself feel needed, took my breath away actually.

Linda
We were congratulated last week at A&E on having looked after my son for the last 13yrs, I thought it was hugely insulting to my boy and sincerely hope he didn't understand.
I know the doctor meant well but we love our boys, can you imagine if you congratulated the parents of a normal child for looking after them, they wouldn't be happy.
Vicky
We were congratulated last week at A&E on having looked after my son for the last 13yrs, I thought it was hugely insulting to my boy and sincerely hope he didn't understand.
I know the doctor meant well but we love our boys, can you imagine if you congratulated the parents of a normal child for looking after them, they wouldn't be happy.
Vicky
That attitude is one I find a bit upsetting too Vicky. Have heard it too many times over the years.. Image

The comment I find most hurtful is 'oh, isn't it a shame they're both the same?'

My Daughters are my Daughters and I love them so much, it hurts.

I'm the luckiest woman alive. Those who make the comments, as you say, mean well in their own way. They will become well-informed one day.

Sezzie.