[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Amelda Redmonds CBE - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Amelda Redmonds CBE

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
68 posts
The interesting thing from your list of services that you have accessed is the range of charities involved in service provision - Crossroads, Gateway (Mencap) , Autism and so on. Most of these didnt exist fifty years ago. And also the use of a solicitor to enforce your rights - which shows great determination - full credit to you.
Carers UK made a decision some years ago to focus on providing carers with good, sound information - to help them campaign and lobby and fight for their rights. It is less obvious than providing practical services to help carers, but very useful nevertheless. CUK can't take on all the battles themselves, that would require a huge charity with 100 times the staff and branch volunteers. But where it has worked well in providing people like you and me with the ammunition and the will to fight on to get a better deal. And I think thats where this award comes from - that determination to provide the highest quality information possible has been recognised.
Good debate. Carers UK recognises that we are a very small charity compared to other charities that help carers like Mencap, Contact-a-family, MIND, Scope, Parkinsons, Alzheimers etc, all of whom have much larger resources.

Those organisation also have much smaller client groups in terms of who they are trying to help. Carers UK was set up to help all carers - that's 6 million people. Becasue we are small with limited resources and have such a large client group, we have to "box clever" as to how we concentrate our efforts. How does a tiny organisation help 6 million people?

Cares UK has always fought on 2 fronts
a) Making sure carers are equipped with the right information they need to fight for their rights. We do that through our helpline, website, local branches and affiliates and things like this forum
b) Leading the political and policy agenda on social care and securing rights for carers that are enshrined in law. Hence our work fighting for legal rights to Carer's assessments, for carers to be included in flexible working and human rights legislation. That's also why we have pushed so hard in recent years on social care crisis and set up the Care and Support Alliance.

I know things are not improving fast enough, particularly the lack of progress on the benefits issue, that is a disgrace. I'm just saying this is a big issue, we are one small organisation amongst many, but I think for our size Carers UK is an excellent charity. But I would say that wouldn't I! Image
i have,since a period living outside the uk,taken the view,gongs,awards etc never or very very rarely get to the folks who do a bit of good.patronage,playing it safe,being establishment gets a gong.so much rot.these awards are of no use.they give those who accept them,and,in my view the very act of accepting a gong is betrayal.it accepts establishment assent for ones efforts.any real radical could never accept a gong.taking the queens shilling,accepting a gong,lets face it,is an ego trip.if your accepting it as a paid head of a charity,for doing what your paid for just stinks,in my view.i feel strongly,that such awards are a total travisty. Image
So far I've stayed out this and the previous discussion on the rights and wrongs of Imelda Redmond's CBE. I'm not a 'political' animal, normally believing that a person's politics, like their religion, is a personal issue and not for open discussion.

However I do believe that when someone is doing a good job in difficult circumstances then that job should be recognised. When I was a Departmental head I learnt that you get far more out of people when you praise their efforts than when you continually criticise their work. Whilst I can see where the detractors are coming from, you cannot please all of the people all of the time. We Carers are an incredibly diverse group with many different needs; no two are quite the same so it is unlikely that any one change will suit all of us and to suggest that Imelda is somehow to blame for the government's lack of action in improving the Carer's lot is not logical and rather disingenuous.

As had already been said, Carers UK is a small organisation and I, for one, think that they do a great job and that they all deserve the CBE and I fully support their efforts on our behalf.
Interesting view Maxi, probably the award is as appropriate as given to anyone else but should there be an award for paid work in any walk of life.
Iv'e never looked at it that way but I always avoid watching award ceremonies in the entertainment industry because I think they are absolutely ridiculous so something to think about.
Vicky
So far I've stayed out this and the previous discussion on the rights and wrongs of Imelda Redmond's CBE. I'm not a 'political' animal, normally believing that a person's politics, like their religion, is a personal issue and not for open discussion.

However I do believe that when someone is doing a good job in difficult circumstances then that job should be recognised. When I was a Departmental head I learnt that you get far more out of people when you praise their efforts than when you continually criticise their work. Whilst I can see where the detractors are coming from, you cannot please all of the people all of the time. We Carers are an incredibly diverse group with many different needs; no two are quite the same so it is unlikely that any one change will suit all of us and to suggest that Imelda is somehow to blame for the government's lack of action in improving the Carer's lot is not logical and rather disingenuous.

As had already been said, Carers UK is a small organisation and I, for one, think that they do a great job and that they all deserve the CBE and I fully support their efforts on our behalf.
Well said susie. It is easy to criticise individuals and organisations but I wonder, having read this and previous threads, whether anyone has anything to suggest which, within the confines of CUK's financial and human resources and in the face of successive governments' refusal to address the issues which carers face daily, would enable CUK to achieve what we and they want for carers, if so I would be genuinely interested to hear them and I imagine that CUK would be too.
Sure: lets have more street protests like the ones in Edinburgh and London. They don't cost much to organise, they are effective and they make the point that carers are more militant now than ever and wont just go away.
I hope as many people as possible turn up in London on March 3rd to put across their own views.
http://carerspovertyalliance.com/pages/ ... t-2010.php
Carers protesting outside the Scottish Parliament, 2009]Image[/url]
Hi

We're always keen to hear different ways to get the message over that carers need better support. We're supporting the carers' protest in London. Keep other ideas coming...
i think vicky made a valid point.i find,like soaps,i avoid the luvvie-award bashes on tv.frankly there are so many awards golden globes,baftas,oscars,tonys,national tv awards,children of courage,then the idiotic gong fest of the new years and queens birthday honors.so much of a yawn and so fake as to be pathetic,i feel.we seem to live in a merit-mad nation.its the legions of quiet folks who,unpaid,do a bit of good.who never even register on the award scales.its crazy. Image
Ordinary people who make a difference in their communities for no financial reward are now eligible to be nominated for and to receive an award, check the list sometime, I know people who have been awarded OBEs.
68 posts