[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Amelda Redmonds CBE - Carers UK Forum

Amelda Redmonds CBE

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
68 posts
I have been struggling with this news for some time,
WHY had Amelda Redmond received a CBE?
could i venture its for not bothering the government too much?
What has actually changed for carers on our illustrious leaders watch? Nothing except for the worse and a 10 year plan as a fob of from this government.
has the carer allowance increased NO, has carers received a carer allowance after pension age No. Has carers received more care breaks No.
Amelda Redmond get very handsomely paid for her work of our leader in lobbying the government. I see no results from it.
Hi Linda,

Imelda was awarded her CBE in recognition of work on carers' and disability issues.

As our campaign It's time for carers states, support for carers needs to be radically improved, as care is in crisis and carers' benefits are a disgrace.

One of the achievements that Imelda has contributed to is making sure the issue of care is on the politicians' agenda. We now see political parties addressing the issue, which we did not see in previous years. We've been calling for political consensus if we are to find a sustainable solution for the care challenge facing the UK as a result of an ageing population. In short we need more funding for social care, however it is paid for.

Other achievements that Imelda has contributed to include the Work and Families Act which gives carers' flexible rights; new pension arrangements announced today; carers' legislation such as the Carers Equal Opportunties Act. Under her leadership Carers UK has attracted a significant amount of media coverage which serves to increase the public's understanding of carers and how caring impacts on people's lives.

She will be the first to acknowledge that these achievements have been won with the support of others - other organisations, employers, service providers etc.
Hi Linda - this has already been debated extensively at the time of the CBE announcement at this thread
http://www.carersuk.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=10388
Thank you for enlightening me about Amelda Redmond's contribution to helping carers.
I have been a 247 carer for 25 years, and have campaigned for a better deal for carers in that time.

I see NO difference in the lip service that this government gives to carers today than the patronizing tripe spieled off in past government statements "We appreciate the contribution made by carers". YUK
As ever words and promises words and promises. I had been a carer for 5 years when we got the carer allowance, won because a woman took the government to the European courts.
The government of the day fought tooth and nail to stop this carer payment being made to carers nothing has changed,
I see absolutely no change for the better with or without Amelda Redmond's contribution.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating as yet i have not tasted a thing.
I defy any carer to say their lot has improved of late.
Linda wrote
I have been a 247 carer for 25 years, and have campaigned for a better deal for carers in that time.
Any progress is frustratingly and very slowly acheived, has your own campaigning made any difference to your own circumstances or locally or nationally Linda? It's just sometimes I wonder if all the effort that various peole make, is worth it?
Hello Cheryl,
My campaigning on a personal level has been successful. It took many years of putting up with crap to hone my skills
I have managed to get a disabled facilities grant to get a safe room built in our house for our daughter.The first ever given in this area for some one with out a physical disability.

We secured a 5 day placement for her at the Sussex Autistic Community trust day center after employing a solicitor to take the council to court. She has a 3 hour saturday morning outing via cross roads and the gateway club Monday evenings. Thursday evening 3 hours outreach and once a month 5 hours friday night to attend a disco. 28 nights per year rest-bite but because of our daughters complex and severe Autism a couple from the Autistic Trust jumped through the hoops to take our daughter for rest bite into their home. She could not cope in a council place. Both my husband and my self have up until this year received a carers grant for a break away.
We now have what we feel is an excellent package of care for our daughter.
It was very hard won but i did it constantly bombarding the council making official complaints writing to the local paper even on the T.V at one point. You have to have steely determination and a great deal of tenacity.
That is wonderful Linda, however a lot of carers campaign for all carers.
I had to fight for everything when my OH became ill as I am sure a lot of
other carers did.
Imelda works extremely hard and campaigns constantly for all carers.
Carers UK along with a lot of other organisations will be at the protest next
week, Imelda did not have to attend last year, however she did, and she
talked to a lot of carers on the day.
As for her salary, if I went back to work, I would expect to be paid, as I could
not live on fresh air.
Hello Cheryl,
My campaigning on a personal level has been successful. It took many years of putting up with crap to hone my skills
I have managed to get a disabled facilities grant to get a safe room built in our house for our daughter.The first ever given in this area for some one with out a physical disability.

We secured a 5 day placement for her at the Sussex Autistic Community trust day center after employing a solicitor to take the council to court. She has a 3 hour saturday morning outing via cross roads and the gateway club Monday evenings. Thursday evening 3 hours outreach and once a month 5 hours friday night to attend a disco. 28 nights per year rest-bite but because of our daughters complex and severe Autism a couple from the Autistic Trust jumped through the hoops to take our daughter for rest bite into their home. She could not cope in a council place. Both my husband and my self have up until this year received a carers grant for a break away.
We now have what we feel is an excellent package of care for our daughter.
It was very hard won but i did it constantly bombarding the council making official complaints writing to the local paper even on the T.V at one point. You have to have steely determination and a great deal of tenacity.
Its amazing what can be achieved without the direct personal intervention of a charity chief executive, isnt it? "I defy any carer to say their lot has improved of late".
Well, you havent done so bad yourself, have you? And yes, my own situation has also got much better too. Funny that, isnt it? But then, there is only one Imelda, and there are six million of us...last I heard she was still practising her water ski-ing.
What some people seem to fail to understand is that, in the face of government opposition to major change, small incremental changes can be more effective than putting a list of demands on the table which will never be met and small incremental changes make a difference to people's lives, maybe not to everyone's but to some. So should I suggest that Imelda is not entitled to her CBE because I have not personally gained from these changes? I do not think so, not least because I realise that over time small incremental changes can often be the best means of achieving the ultimate goal when immediate change is not a possibility.
Thank you Excalibur. Perhaps what i mean to say is that my situation improved because i worked at it night and day for years since my daughter left school infact. Not everybody is like me and needs a speaker. I look around at a lot of carers in my situation i know personally and nothing at all has changed for them in-fact for many it is getting worse. With the credit squeeze the local authority here is trying to cut serves and put our crossroads service out to tender to less expensive providers and as such will be probably a very sub standard service. We have moved three times to get our daughter decent provision we will not be moving again but in another area authority we had the same thing happen for the school transport that was put out to tender. It became so bad i wrote to the traffic police they arranged for a swoop to be made on the busses by the ministry of transport that is how things had deteriorated.

So things have improved for my daughter not necessarily for me as a carer.but the quality of life for her definitely has because of our efforts, but overall things have not changed for the better for carers at all i dont think.
68 posts