[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Pre paid funerals - Carers UK Forum

Pre paid funerals

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Does anyone have any experience of using/doing this? I have been looking online at information, but before making any final decision I wanted to know how others found this.

Thank you

x x
It's a dying industry.
I found it very helpful. One phone call and all the wheels were in motion. All concerned were very kind and considerate with the whole thing very sensitively handled.
pm me if you want to know more.
Hi Rosemary

I took out Funeral Plan for my father and for myself and it did save about £1,000 for my father's funeral.
On advice of somebody else I only took the plan for the hearse and 1 limo.
It turned out to be good advice because at the time I took the plan out I it looked as if I needed 4 limos and people who I expected to outlive Dad did not.
On the day of the funeral I needed 2.

Brian
When I went to see my solicitor to change my will I told her about the woodland burial site and she asked me if I was going to buy the plot in advance. As my family have gone for cremations I hadn't realised you can do that so I'm going to look into getting my little patch of woodland...wonder if I can choose the spot! Image
Thanks for all replies here and those sent via pm system. very helpful indeed.

x x
Rosemary, our Stan paid for his own and Pats funeral in advance with the co-op when he retired from R.M.T. but when he was questioned on means tested benefits income savings , the cash held by the co-op was seen as an asset ? I`m well insured and the S.P.V.A. will pay for mam plus she has good insurance as well ..
When I went to see my solicitor to change my will I told her about the woodland burial site and she asked me if I was going to buy the plot in advance. As my family have gone for cremations I hadn't realised you can do that so I'm going to look into getting my little patch of woodland...wonder if I can choose the spot! Image
Little funny story....when my ex mother in law passed away we bought a plot in a beautiful cemetery near to her home. We also ensured that there was room for my sister in law who has Down's syndrome to be buried with her. My other sisters in law (twins) both wanted to buy a plot either side despite the fact that they were only in their 30's at the time. It was just before Christmas and I remember saying to my daughter that I wanted to talk to her about our ideas for Christmas presents ( we just couldn't decide on a pressie that she would want that year...and had some gadget or other in mind). Samantha looked at us shocked and said in all seriousness, "oh my god, please tell me you are not going to buy me a plot for Christmas" Image

So Juggler the answer to your question is yes, you can buy a plot in advance and you can choose where in most cases. Over here in our local cemetery the plots are very ornate with little brick rooms for families to place the urns of loved ones. The strange thing is though that you actually pay more of a view!!!

Bell x
Hi g.herschel

With regard to a funeral plan being regarded as an asset for means tested benefit for means tested benefit I am surprised as the funds are not accessible.
I do know of a case where a son and daughter were left about £200,000 each and the money was put in to trust and the parents had to apply for benefits when the children were in their early teens.
This was found out but the benefits were payable as the children could not get the money till they were 18.
As it happened the parents no longer qualified for benefits when the children got to 18 but I understand the money would have been taken in to account if the benefits were being paid and the children were still living with their parents when they were 18.

Brian
The only time it is disregarded as an asset is for social care and or residential care .