[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Union support??? - Carers UK Forum

Union support???

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
Hi everyone,

Although I posted my version of Cheryls letter to my MP this morning,the following was in our local paper tonight.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/latest-ne ... id=2972348

I have also put the Usdaw link....Usdaw (the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers) is the UK's fifth biggest trade union, with over 345,000 members. Most Usdaw members work in the retail sector, but the union also has many members in transport, distribution, food manufacturing, chemicals and other trades.

http://www.usdaw.org.uk/equality/news/1 ... 27615.html

Once you are on the page in the link above,take a good look round.There is both a survey and postcard to fill in as support.

Makes interesting reading.

Rosemary
x x x x
Thanks Rosemary will have a look!
Hi Rosemary,

I have read the link you kindly provided regarding Carers. It's excellent for Carers that are able to go out to work. However, my question is: What is being done for those Carers of workable age who have to be available 24/7 and are therefore unable to seek outside employment? (Because of the nature of my mother's illnesses she needs constant care, and timetables and planning just do not exist.) I am one such person. The only remuneration I receive is £48 per week for 24/7 care, 7 days per week, without any holidays. There must be many others in the same position.
Hi Amber

According to the last census over 3 million people juggle work and care. But obviously this gets les and less the more care you are providing. At the heavy 24/7 end then work is simply an unattainable thing for many carers.

Please sign up and support our campaign. Part of our campaign is getting the government to look at the issues for carers who cannot work and offering them proper financial support and not treating them as 'unemployed' when clearly they are no such thing!

Please have a look at this page of the website.

http://www.carersuk.org/Newsandcampaign ... ordonBrown

Thanks

matt
Thanks Matt, I have just sent my contribution to Mr Brown, but I won't hold my breath waiting for a response Image
Hi Amber,

Carers Allowance as a whole needs a major shakeup.I understand what you are saying about those 24/7 carers,I was one myself till last year when we lost my mam.I was never able to even claim the CA as they would have took the premium off my mams benefits.There are so many in the same boat.I care for my brother now but not 24/7.

The reason I posted about the Union support ,was that whatever steps if any can be made forward can only benefit us all.It makes no difference who gets their foot in the door 1st as long as carers everywhere benefit.The earnings rule is just one change to the benefit we NEED,but hopefully it will all be looked at.A massive overhaul of the whole benefit system,not just CA is needed Amber, with regards to carers.

We also have care services Amber.Cutbacks happening all over the country and eligibility criteria gets changed to suit a boroughs budgets rather than provide a decent package for those in need.

Have you looked round CUK site to see what help available for you and your mam.
Look this one over for starters Amber and fire away with any questions that may arise.

http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Helpwithcaring

Take care
Rosemary
[quote]Hi Rosemary,

I have read the link you kindly provided regarding Carers. It's excellent for Carers that are able to go out to work. However, my question is]

Hi Amber

I'm in the same situation as you, I gave up full time work to look after Mum 5 years ago after struggling to juggle the two for the previous 15 years, sadly the flexible working rights came too late for me - the only way I could go back to work now is if I take Mum with me!

I'm glad you've joined in the campaign with the rest of us, hopefully if we shout loud enough someone will take notice of us!

Paula
I know this link will only be of interest to a few members but I thought it still worth sharing.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medical ... wsid=76174

Seems like another union taking this cause up for their members.

Can the fact that organisations supporting PAID workers and highlighting the cutbacks in Care services mean that eventually those of us who are family carers be heard more too.

I would love to know your thoughts.

Rosemary
x x x
iam sure other carers will say the same as me how can you be a full time carer and go out to work 16 hours on minimum wage gives you about the £90 level i cant leave my mother for more then an hour at a time just long enough to post a letter we have to prove that we care for relatives for at least 35 hours per week so if you work for the minimum wage and do 16 hours you will be on a 50 hour week we should be paid for what we do these mp`s dont have a clue what they are talking about.
and the sad thing is as a labour party member i cant see GORDON BROWN leading us back into power he is another IAN DUNCAN SMITH (con) and unless something dramatic happens GORDON will be the end of labour for a few years .
GORDON BROWN made a statement about carers when he decided to run for leadership it was all about help and support and recognising how much we rely on carers as usual cash to set up help lines and centre`s so we can pop in for a chat and a cup of tea what a load of ****