[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
airflow mattress - Carers UK Forum

airflow mattress

Share information, support and advice on all aspects of caring.
hello everyone in carerland .my mum has just got a talley airflow mattress ,just wanted to ask if i can turn it off when not in use ?jane .
Hi Jane
It is probably best to check with OT or district nurse. I remember they are pretty noisy but eventually you get used to it. If the person they are for is likely to want to rest during the day it is probably best they are left on. It also removes the liklihood of forgetting to turn it on again before bed time. :roll:
One of those things you'll have to get used to

Its not as straight forward as the mattress simply inflating, it is a series of air sacs held together by the mattress itself, and these can take several hours to properly pressurize themselves. This may actually be why sometimes it is a little noisier than usual but may quieten down once its settled depending on the make you have.

Make sure they properly explain/show you what to do in the event of power failure (or any other common problems)

They do have a habit of setting it up, chucking the paperwork at you and buggering off

No such thing as a bad question

Best wishes
Mum had such an airmattress and we left it on all the time. That way it was always ready if mum wanted to use it. I don't think it used much power and it was reasonably quiet, and comfortable too.

Make sure you know the service phone number to call before you need to use it!
My mum found the one the hospital provided her with very uncomfortable. Turned out that the pressure should be adjusted for the weight of the person concerned, when it is installed. The District Nurse can do this.
Yes, BB, I think the district nurses checked it for mum.
bowlingbun wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am
My mum found the one the hospital provided her with very uncomfortable. Turned out that the pressure should be adjusted for the weight of the person concerned, when it is installed. The District Nurse can do this.
The setting relative to rate of the person using the bed is explained in the manual again which they are supposed to leave a copy of with the person using it for safe keeping along with official documentation etc

Can actually feel myself getting annoyed that they have not properly demonstrated the equipment to OP as their supposed to!
And then the DN has the hump when we have to call them out for a problem of their own making.

Best wishes
When mum's was delivered it was dumped in the hall for "someone" to install. That's what happens when you live in one county but the nearest hospital is in another! Mum thought I could do it, but I wouldn't. Took ages to get the DN to come, and then she found it was the wrong size anyhow!!